STVK

Advice for surf fishing with my kids at Sandy Hook

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Although we fish frequently in our lakes and streams at home I am fairly new to surf fishing and my 2 children (11 and 8) are also very interested in anything fishing.  Last year we took our first family trip to Sandy Hook and we had fun (there were a few fish thank goodness) and we plan on taking another trip in about 2 weeks to try our hand at stripers and winter flounder.  We are going equipped with 2 surf rods (10' and 8') and two of my medium-light rods (6'6" range) that we use at the lakes around home, the surf rods will have Daiwa BG reels (5000 and 3000) with 20lb braid on the bigger reel and 17lb mono on the smaller reel, the lighter rods will have Daiwa BG 2000 series with 15lb braid.  Also we have sinkers from 1oz to 5oz and circle hooks ranging from #2 all the way to 8/0, bucktail jig in a few different sizes, top water lures, metal spoons and some Berkley Gulp that I keep reading the flounder like.  Is there any advice you may give from rigs that might work better this time of year, bait, etc.. and do you think I would be better off on the North side of the beach and is there any benefits on fishing either the ocean side or bay side of the hook?   I read the post about spot burning and I am not asking for that kind of information, but just a little insight, please don't get yourself in trouble if I am asking the wrong questions.  Thank you for any advice you are will to give to help me keep this fun for the kids.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It all depends on when and on the ability and desire of the kids

It's still early, but you can spike the two big rods on the ocean side with bunker chunks and/or clams and see if something comes along. Smooth Dogfish should be showing soon and as much as we hate the things, kids love em (little sharks without sharp teeth) and there have been some sporadic small bass and even a few super early blues around

Fishfinder rigs and 8/0 circles would be my choice but there are lots of different rigs you can use.

Fish the small rods for winters on the bay side

As for where, even if we told you exactly where to stand it wouldn't mean much. Spring is just beginning and very few of us have been out there and the structure is certainly going to be different

Study this and you'll be able to find your own spots

The one thing that's important is that you avoid the spots with strong current until the 8 year old has a few more seasons under his belt - people have drowned at the Hook. 

The very end (you don't want to make that walk anyway) and Plum Island (first lot, riverside) are particularly dangerous

As for rigs, stop by any of the tackle shops along the way and they'll be happy to set you up with the correct weight sinkers (we don't know what your rods are rated for) and the rigs to use

Good luck, hope the little guys get to reel in some fish

Edited by Sudsy

Thank you for the advice, especially the regarding the current.  I will check out the link.  Good luck with the fishing this year.

46 mins ago, jerseyhunter said:

why was my reply deleted?

Not sure but I did get to read it and I thought it was helpful.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, jerseyhunter said:

Apparently the directions you have the new person instructed them to violate no trespassing laws. Obviously, that’s a bad idea to publicly suggest someone violate the law :)  Also, it’s exactly the kind of spot burning we don’t allow here. 

TimS

Sorry for spot burning but I don't see what laws are being violated. I've parked there many times and told them at the booths what I was doing and also have plenty of park workers see me there along with rangers going by.   Sorry.

3 hours ago, jerseyhunter said:

Because you told them to go to a spot that is No Trespassing and is enforced 

(and extremely difficult to land a fish - not a spot for an 8 year old)

37 mins ago, jerseyhunter said:

have plenty of park workers see me there along with rangers going by.   Sorry.

I chased breaking fish into there and got caught, Had to do some serious arse kissing not to get ticketed

43 mins ago, jerseyhunter said:

Sorry for spot burning but I don't see what laws are being violated. I've parked there many times and told them at the booths what I was doing and also have plenty of park workers see me there along with rangers going by.   Sorry.

I didn’t delete the post - had I deleted it I would have explained that it was spot burning...because it is...and we don’t allow it :) The legal/illegal part is really irrelevant but was the reason the forum leader who did remove the post left :)

TimS

I chased breaking fish into there and got caught, Had to do some serious arse kissing not to get ticketed

Don't know how if your fishing from shore only feet off the road and bike path.  I'm done with this BS.   Ps. my wife and I used to launch our Hobie Tandum  there all the time.

Can someone tell me where no trespassing rules are enforced on the hook so I can avoid being ticketed? I use satellite view on google maps and it all appears fair game. 

56 mins ago, adams54 said:

Can someone tell me where no trespassing rules are enforced on the hook so I can avoid being ticketed? I use satellite view on google maps and it all appears fair game. 

No trespassing signs are a good place to start