coolhandfluke

anyone try these for flounder ?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I keep seeing their ads on Facebook. I love the way they swim but I think they'd be much better from a boat than from the beach

Ah. The preseason trap.

Every winter, early spring my mind would warp out thinking about new rigs, baits and lures that I was sure would put me over the top on flounder fishing. My tackle bag was ready to rip apart with all the containers of new gadgets that were going to fill the cooler with BIG flounder. One winter I even made a flounder mold and sent away for the chemical mix to make soft plastics. I picked up this sculpy clay at Michael's that you mold then bake to harden. Worked for many evenings to make a small flounder about four inches long. Once it hardened I took a small box and poured plaster of paris in until it was almost set. Then I sprayed some pam on the little flounder and pushed it into the mix until it hardened. Pulled right out and I had my mold ready to go. Took an old pot and boiled the chemicals that stunk up the house. Took a little and mixed with some black dye and a little more and mixed with some white dye. Then with a small paint brush handle I took some and let it drip onto some foil till it set. Used these little dots to replicate the spots on the flounder. Took the mold and placed these little dots around the body cavity and was ready to go. Mixed more of the chemicals with brown die and slowly poured it into the mold over the dots. Stopped just short of the top of the mold and let it set. Then took some more that was mixed with white and poured that in to look like the white side of the flounder. Came out looking really neat and made me feel good that after thinking about how many big flounder cough up baby flounder and I made it work. 

Made four of them to start the season and couldn't wait to try them out. Found some real nice two ounce flat head bucktails and slipped on the baby flounder. About ten feet down and a big spring bluefish took it off right at the head. Never caught one flounder on my little home made flounder but it kept me busy that winter. After years of new ideas and bright shiny dodads it finally hit me. Ain't nothing better than a big old fat female minnow on a gold hook or a strip of mackerel or herring on a bucktail. Now I do more constructive things during the winter. I think of new ideas and look for shiny things to buy for my camera. Fishing things are cheaper and more fun to make.:D    

39 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

what happened to the coat hanger dragger.  weight in the center 1 hook on each corner. strip of squid on each and fill the cooler with 14 inch flounder :p

I have one in my bag ready to go next weekend at the wildwood boat show. Two day even where myself and two others do seminars during the show. That rig is called the Tennis Cord Spreader Bar and can still be purchased today. 

Image result for pics of tennis cord spreader bar flounder rig

I use it in my seminar when I try to explain that we don't need to be stealthy when fishing. Hide the hook, invisible line and rig. This rig over the years has probably caught more flounder than the rest combined. Big hunk of metal with a clip for a weight and the actual material they string tennis rackets with that have the two loops for leadered hooks. It worked because it was simple that the two hooks never tangled and it just plowed the bottom dragging two baits behind it. We have over complicated the simple art of one jerk at the end of a line trying to get another jerk at the other end.

Posted (edited) · Report post

One last thing. Me and my dad never used this rig because he liked the ones he made but we had one in his tackle box. He had two hooks hanging from the loops and when we had an argument about who had the bigger flounder he would hang both and see which way the rig tilted. 

Edited by DoorGunner