Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HL

How to install proper diameter tape bushings to a steel rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For those of us who choose to shape our own cork grips - we may choose to do so by installing a steel rod (SR) with tape bushings into the butt of the blank and attaching the free end of the SR in some sort of rotating device - a drill or lathe.  The objective to to have all of the tape bushings make solid contact with the inside of the blank so there is no slippage while turning.

The challenge is to get the diameter of the tape bushings correct when you can't see what is happening inside the blank..

An easy way to do it is to use an Algebraic ratio formula that we learned in high school. 

We must assume that the blank's wall thickness and taper remains constant.

"A" is to "B" as "X" is to "C"

"A" over "B" = "X "over "C"

"A" is the diameter of the first bushing that is wrapped onto the end of the SR. That is the most simple to know.  Just bush the SR and rotate it into place inside the blank.  If you estimated the diameter correctly you will be left with about 3-4" of the SR still outside of the butt of the blank.

Mark the SR where it exits the butt.

Remove the SR from the blank.

Lay it next to the blank - the mark on the SR should be at the opening of the butt.

Mark the blank at the middle of the first tape bushing.

Mark the blank and the SR where you want the next 2 bushings (assuming you want a total of 3 bushings - make more marks if you want more bushings).

Using a micrometer to 3 places - determine the O.D. of #1 tape bushing. That is "A" in your formula.

Determine the OD of the part of the blank that was next to bushing #1. That is "B" in your formula.

Determine the OD of the blank at the place where bushing #2 will be.  That is "C" in your formula.

"X" WILL BE the OD of the #2 bushing.

So cross multiplying:

It's "A" times "C" = "B" times "X"

Divide both sides by "B".

That gives you the value of "X" which is what the diameter of the 2nd bushing must be to be snug to the inside wall of the blank.

Repeat for as many bushings you need.

Regards,

Herb

U.S. Distributor CTS Rod Blanks

Edited by HL

12 mins ago, HL said:

An easy way

use 2 bushings and test fit them until they are snug. If you want to add a third in between, make it slightly smaller than the bigger one, and slightly larger than the smaller one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Billy :):).

Some friends actually like 4-5 bushings - tough getting them all snug.

See your PM's.

Ooooops - forgot - can't PM you.

I a still waiting for the Hurricane "T" shirt

Regards,

Herb

Edited by HL

I never sold the Sandy tee shirts, Mudhole did. I don't have one myself!

Regarding turning on the blank like that where you can't chuck the end up, I always stick a blank inside it. It's never been a problem, even with 8' rods 10 times heavier than the small section you are working with.

Hi Billy :):).

Some friends actually like 4-5 bushings - tough getting them all snug.

See your PM's

Regards,

Herb