Uncle Stu

Best 4 pc. travel spin rods?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Kent I said:

Try Santiam. They build a number of 4-piece sallmon/steelhead rods that meet your specs, and they are inexpensive. 

Those look good, thanks! The 8'6" med/light spin model might be just right for us. On the short side, but not a show stopper. 

Edited by Uncle Stu

Charkbait makes a four piece nine surf rod. I just bought the heaviest conventional version. I have not had a fish it yet but it is nice rod. Charkbait is easy to find online.

I tried most travel rods out there.  My favorite for saltwater fishing are 5-piece Shimano Exage STC rods.  They have a huge range of travel rods in every length and size.  My favorites are 9

and 10 foot (270  and 300 cm) extra heavy bx models that I use for surf.  They are very fast and sensitive rods that I love.  They also have great 5-6 piece 11 footers in stc “beastmaster” series.  These are available in slower tapers and lighter actions.  I love shimano STCs so much that I amassed a collection of them and often fish them  locally instead of 1 or 2 piece rods.  They are so sensitive and strong that there is really no downside to 5-6 piece composition.   Shimano STCs are not avalable on US market, but are the most popular travel rods everywhere else in the world.  I ordered mine from Europe.  But they are also available in Canada.  

Edited by Alexey

That's the problem - here in the U.S. we have very few options in the low- to mid- price range for travel rods in the 9ft + sizes.  There are several makes and brands but the ones that make rods in 4-5 piece over 9' are all moderate to heavy action long-handled surf rods (St Croix 9', 10', Okuma Nomad 9', 10' etc....).  Daiwa makes some 5 piece travel rods but they are either short inshore rods or 11' surf rods - the latter are compromised by inferior reel seats and handles that are too short for surf and too long for inshore.   Santiam makes a few travel rods in shorter cork handles up to only 8'6" (lightest goes down to 3/8th oz, up to 1.25 oz).   Nobody makes a 4 or five piece U.S. rod in 9' or 9.5' that has a short cork handle and has a light line/lure rating (6-12lb test, 1/4 to 1 oz).  To get that, the best option currently is to convert a cheap fly rod to light spin duty. 

Edited by Killiefish

Why not just order a travel rod from Europe?  If you are buying something in $200 range, you may pay $40-50 in shipping.  But you are not paying any European taxes.  So your out-of pocket cost ordered from Europe online and shipped to US would be about the same as buying the same rod in a store in Europe.  With some high-end rods and reels (that are available here) you may actually save money having them shipped from Europe.  This opens up a whole world of travel rods.  Perhaps way more than most would want to consider.