Uncle Stu

Best 4 pc. travel spin rods?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

One recent thread here on SOL has a good discussion of flying on planes with fly rods. When we fly to Alaska, we've had issues with checking and carrying on our 2-piece spin and fly rods that are 9-10' long. So I'm researching 4-piece travel spin rods. We will be targeting 6-10 lb. coho.  We like our rods long and light--our current favorites are cheap 2-piece 10' ultralight steelhead sticks made by Riversider (from Dicks). What are your experiences and recommendations when it comes to 4 piece travel spin rods?

Only you can determine ‘best’. I have a 4pc. Ugly stik spinning rod that was inexpensive, and it’s caught some nice fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My dad, brother, and I fly to Alaska and fish for silvers in the same size range, we have caught them up to 14lbs... and we use travel rods.  My dad and brother prefer casting rods, they use fenwick and daiwa 7-7'6" MH rods.  I use spinning and bring an LL Bean travel rod 4 piece and an 8'6" okuma SST.  You really don't need a 4 piece rod to bring on a plane, any 3piece rod will work just fine in terms of size, never had anyone say anything to me about bringing an overhead bin sized duffle, backpack, and 3 travel rods.  Just wait till the overhead bin is full, then put the rods on top of the suitcases so nobody starts jamming their luggage on your rods.  then, just get up and grab them before people start pulling luggage out.  

Your other option would be to just put several rods in a PVC tube and ship them up to wherever you are going before hand then ship them back if you can't find any travel rods that meet your liking.

Edited by jhillman17
added shipping option

jhillman, yeah I like LL Bean products in general, I've been a big fan for many years. However, just now I looked at your travel rod online and there seems to be a consistent breakage problem at the rod tip. Those reviews are enough to scare me off, even though you've had good luck with it. I'm trying to stay below $100 if possible and right now the Fenwick Eagle and Cabelas Fish Eagle both look like decent options. Also I agree that 3 piece would be short enough if under about 8'

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Uncle Stu said:

jhillman, yeah I like LL Bean products in general, I've been a big fan for many years. However, just now I looked at your travel rod online and there seems to be a consistent breakage problem at the rod tip. Those reviews are enough to scare me off, even though you've had good luck with it. I'm trying to stay below $100 if possible and right now the Fenwick Eagle and Cabelas Fish Eagle both look like decent options. Also I agree that 3 piece would be short enough if under about 8'

Yeah, the version i use is all black blank...i think they moved to a new blank that is now blue.  that may be the cause for those issues.  I would look around online at the Daiwa Ardito, fenwick HMG travel ( i have the methods) but I guess the HMG is the new version of mine, or the Okuma Citrix.  I haven't caught too many fish on my 8'6" Okuma SST Travel, but for the price on fleabay, it seems pretty hard to beat if you don't mind a MH rod.  I guess it depends on how you fish them, but we use big spinners and spoons so the MH is fine with our techniques.

Edit - Looks like the Citrix does come in 4 piece option.  if you want the smallest packable sizes.  The case on my 8'6" SST is 37" if that helps any.  

Edited by jhillman17
Edited info

1 hour ago, Uncle Stu said:

I have the older (all black) LL bean travel rod, and the new blue version. My brother and best friend also both have the new blue versions. We've done trips to Canada pike and musky fishing,  and landed multiple fish with thousands and thousands of cast between us three with zero issues. I've brought the older all black rod all over the place, even Australia and caught hundreds of fish on it. I have seen those reviews, and they did worry me, but none of us have had any issues :shrug:

If what you are looking for is a longer (9-10ft) rod that packs down easily and is light action (similar to a West Coast steelhead stick) you might want to look into a four piece carp rod.  Most saltwater travel rods are either shorter or, if that long, stiffer - short rods meant for inshore salt use (off of a boat), or even longer than you need, for surf, respectively.  

The Daiwa Ardito is a possibility in a five piece rod, but the action is stiff, with a tip flex profile.  The bottom third of the rod barely flexes.   Also they are 11' - so longer than you need, and the weight range they handle well (look at the medium model not medium heavy) is 1-2.5 oz with the sweet spot at 1.75oz.  Not at all 2-6 oz as advertised.

A light action carp or European style roughly 1-1.5 lb test curve rod (in 4 piece) might have more of a full flex action.  They can be found fairly cheaply too.  Many are 11' or longer but you might be able to find a 4 piece model with the characteristics you seek.

I think I have found my holy grail travel spinner, designed for the JDM seabass market. Apia Grandage 90m-5, high quality and decent price. got mine from Amazon Japan.

apia.jpg

90m-5.jpg

I have some Cabelas XML rods, both spinning and casting, that I like so much I keep reels mounted on them and fish them even when I’m not traveling.  Had them for10-15 years.   

I have been using a 4 piece rod made by St Croix for the past couple of years.  I mainly use it when we fly to Florida.  I've caught snook 30+ inches on it and it handled them just fine.  It also comes with a nice cloth case for traveling.  I'm sure it would be perfect for what you need.  

I have been taking a St Croix four piece Triumph series rod to Florida for three seasons now and really like it. It’s 6’6” and will cast 1/4 to 1 oz. lures. I’ve used it in the surf and boat. 

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I have been taking a St Croix four piece Triumph series rod to Florida for three seasons now and really like it. It’s 6’6” and will cast 1/4 to 1 oz. lures. I’ve used it in the surf and boat. 

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Those rods are very nice but the contraption they call a case is a disaster I have two a ML and a M the collection guide was crushed on the ML and the tip section of the M worked it’s way out the top and was promptly broken off, both are waiting to be repaired and will probably gather dust, I now travel with 3 piece Tidemasters with no problems.