Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Metal_Z

Another which fish finder

5 posts in this topic

So I have a budget of up to about 300 and am looking for my first fish finder setup for a kayak. I have the field and stream eagle talon aka tarpon 120 clone.

Will be fishing mostly in the bays Raritan to great bay for fluke blues stripers etc.  and taking some trips north to fresh waters lakes like round valley, spruce run, monksville. 

Been leanjng towards the garmin echmap 44cv. From what I understand it comes with costal maps. And has the ability to make its own maps, so I could use that for the fresh water trips. 

Are their some some other units or features I might be over looking. Or might be useful for my area or fishing style?

I'm looking at 2 units, the ones I have been looking at are the Lowrance Hook2 5 split shot w/ DI comes with a us/can nav+ chip for $329 and Humminbird Chrip GPS G2 for $260 on amazon w/ a $30 rebate. I fish the same general areas as you for the same fish. I rarely do freshwater and If I go with the lowrance unit I would have to use a transducer arm which hangs over the side to get the better detail with the Down Imaging which I'm trying to avoid, I paddle and it would slow me down. I currently have the transducer in the hull.

The Humminbird comes with the coastal maps and allows you to make your own maps with AutoChart live I believe it is called. What I wanted from a new unit that my older model didn't have was to track my drift speed, mark spots, gps, maps, trace a drift and the humminbird unit has all of that. The lowrance does too but with saving around $100, not having to rewire and reconfigure the way my current unit is setup and with plenty of positive recommendations I think I'm leaning towards the humminbird at this point, I'll probably pull the trigger sometime this week and then I'll be out maybe late April/early May to test it out.

8 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

I'm looking at 2 units, the ones I have been looking at are the Lowrance Hook2 5 split shot w/ DI comes with a us/can nav+ chip for $329 and Humminbird Chrip GPS G2 for $260 on amazon w/ a $30 rebate. I fish the same general areas as you for the same fish. I rarely do freshwater and If I go with the lowrance unit I would have to use a transducer arm which hangs over the side to get the better detail with the Down Imaging which I'm trying to avoid, I paddle and it would slow me down. I currently have the transducer in the hull.

The Humminbird comes with the coastal maps and allows you to make your own maps with AutoChart live I believe it is called. What I wanted from a new unit that my older model didn't have was to track my drift speed, mark spots, gps, maps, trace a drift and the humminbird unit has all of that. The lowrance does too but with saving around $100, not having to rewire and reconfigure the way my current unit is setup and with plenty of positive recommendations I think I'm leaning towards the humminbird at this point, I'll probably pull the trigger sometime this week and then I'll be out maybe late April/early May to test it out.

Wow great response glad to hear your input on this. So hearing about how that Lowrance transducer hooks up that kind of rules that out for me, as I’m also paddling and don’t want the extra drag. I want to mount it in the hull. 

So between the garmin and hummingbird bird what I understand so far is

humminbird: has better screen. Stock maps about the same. Has self auto drawing amp features.

Garmin: lesser screen. Stock maps about the same. Self/auto drawing maps the garmin seems to have more memory and saving features.

still looking into it. I could be wrong on some of my conclusions. I have to do some research on a full computer screen and not just my small phone screen.

You can swivel the transducer arm out of the water while your paddling.  For me, I want to take full advantage of what the modern units technologically offer. I am not saying that a transducer can't shoot through a kayak hull , i just think why take the chance. Especially with all the nifty transducer arm attachments we have today.  Heck you could even drop it off the read and it would improve your paddling by causing the kayak to go straight- it would act like a keel. 

If I pivot the transducer arm up the transducer is out of the water it will eliminate the drag.  I did that when I was In a hurry to return. Personally I don’t like to do that while trolling. I like to know when I am passing over fish. It may encourage me to stop and take a few casts. I think you are correct about most transducers. They will work better in the water. Especially a side scan one. The new transducers are so big they create a good amount of drag. It is a shame that many kayaks are not transducer ready. In my humble opinion I did not like the drag that was created by the transducer arm. It is also one more thing to rig up each trip. Duct seal in the hull worked better for me.  Good luck with your purchase.