robc22

Not good...Not good at all........

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

4 towns (Bourne, Wareham, Marion and plymouth) want to discharge their "treated sewage" into the Cape Cod Canal.

Good bye shellfish, Goodbye winter ducks, goodbye lobsters......:thumbd:

And remember when it rains hard and the sewer system gets overloaded they just open the flood gates......:scuba:

Retrieving a plug with poopy paper on it is definitely a fun moment.......NOT!!........:upck:

 

 

https://bourne.wickedlocal.com/news/20190221/decision-time-nearing-for-regional-wastewater-plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just the obvious,like E. coli,staphylococcus etc but things that can't be "cleaned out" or removed,like methamphetamine,birth control pills,antidepressants and other prescription meds as well as lawn herbicides and insecticides from runoff.

Here in Ohio it's not unusual to find hermaphroditic fish in the Ohio R from birth control chemicals in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though the Canal flushes every 6 hours there’s always going to be debris that settles to the bottom, gets trapped in the holes and builds up over time. Can’t believe this is the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just open the flood gates when it rain?

 Meth?

Hermaphrodite fish?

Debris settling to the bottom  - of the cape friggin cod canel????

 

Wow, you guys need to study up on some facts before those bunched panties cut off the circulation to your brains!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robc22 said:

4 towns (Bourne, Wareham, Marion and plymouth) want to discharge their "treated sewage" into the Cape Cod Canal.

Good bye shellfish, Goodbye winter ducks, goodbye lobsters......:thumbd:

And remember when it rains hard and the sewer system gets overloaded they just open the flood gates......:scuba:

Retrieving a plug with poopy paper on it is definitely a fun moment.......NOT!!........:upck:

 

 

https://bourne.wickedlocal.com/news/20190221/decision-time-nearing-for-regional-wastewater-plan

Only old fashioned combined sewer outflow plants had the flood regulator option.

There are 19 such plants in the entire state, all working to eliminate the combined sewer outflow to be in compliance. 

 

https://www.mass.gov/guides/sanitary-sewer-systems-combined-sewer-overflows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, Somethingsfishy said:

Though the Canal flushes every 6 hours there’s always going to be debris that settles to the bottom, gets trapped in the holes and builds up over time. Can’t believe this is the best option.

What debris do you mean?

 

Seriously, do you imagine a straight pipe between your toilet and the ocean?

You do know about treatment plants?

 

No debris comes out of treatment plants.

Nothing solid whatsoever. 

The exception being an old fashioned, urban over loaded CSO plant (there are 19, see above) in a 100 year flood.

 

Nothing solid ever comes out but I'm still trying to picture "debris" settled on the bottom of the canal.:eek:

That's some heavy corn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know no sticks and stones come out of treatment plants. :)

”Debris “ is particulate matter suspended in a liquid which settles as flow slows. EPA has lengthy analysis of this which includes dissolved metals among other things. Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, mikez2 said:

What debris do you mean?

 

Seriously, do you imagine a straight pipe between your toilet and the ocean?

You do know about treatment plants?

 

No debris comes out of treatment plants.

Nothing solid whatsoever. 

The exception being an old fashioned, urban over loaded CSO plant (there are 19, see above) in a 100 year flood.

 

Nothing solid ever comes out but I'm still trying to picture "debris" settled on the bottom of the canal.:eek:

That's some heavy corn!

I live in a CSO area, its sending raw untreated water into the Hudson in any good rain. The design, such as it is, calls for the 1st 10% of a storm to be sent to treatment, the theory being that 1st gulp contains most of the effluent in the combined system when the storm began, and then when they can't take any more, it goes into the river as "mostly" storm water.  In my neighborhood it gets even more fun, since we're so low to sea level the entire sewer system is a virtual holding tank that floods within a few feet of street level. The 120 year old decrepit, incontinent, brick sewer then leaks through the street fill making the cracks in my basement slab squirt sewer water.

 

The EPA has tried issuing consent orders to get NYC and others to update their systems, but without the many billions of bucks, nothing ever happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dont say it doesnt happen because it does here in Hull the treatment plant was flooded and for more than a week straight untreated sewer was dischatged into the ocean , millions of gallons ! There will never be a shellfish fishery here ever again i was told by the Harbormaster ! So it does and can happen.https://www.patriotledger.com/article/20130304/NEWS/303049750

Edited by shark lobster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shark lobster said:

Dont say it doesnt happen because it does here in Hull the treatment plant was flooded and for more than a week straight untreated sewer was dischatged into the ocean , millions of gallons ! There will never be a shellfish fishery here ever again i was told by the Harbormaster ! So it does and can happen.https://www.patriotledger.com/article/20130304/NEWS/303049750

Thanks chuck......IT has happened a few times with the Wareham plant on Buttermilk bay.........SO much stormwater filling the system they have to just let some of it go straight into the bay an it closed the bay to shellfishing and swimming if it's a summer month........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.