ThrowinPlugs

How would I fix this Epoxy crack?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey all, half a season in last year I noticed a crack in the epoxy on my airwave elite right by the reel seat. It goes around the whole epoxy "cap" at the top of the real seat. You think I could do this myself and fix it, or should I have someone do it for me? What would entail fixing this? I love the rod as much as my two Lamis, and would hate to have my reels seat spi or something.

20190324_180538.jpg

Interesting crack.

Is it symmetrical all the way around?

I think you should bring it up with the manufacturer.  

I don;t think an easy fix would last.  You have to get to the reason why it happened in the first place.

Herb 

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how to contact tsunami. O guess through Bimini Bay? Yeah its symmetrical all the way around. Almost looks like bending in the rod handle vs epoxy that's super hard and brittle.

It’s only cosmetic. Your reel seat won’t come loose because of it. Quick fix would be to wrap black thread over the ramp and epoxy again. 

I’ve torn those rods down a lot for builds and all that is under there is Shrink tube. Then they wrapped black thread on top and epoxied it. 

I wouldnt worry about it and just keep fishing it. 

1 hour ago, a rod n a reel said:

It’s only cosmetic. Your reel seat won’t come loose because of it. Quick fix would be to wrap black thread over the ramp and epoxy again. 

I’ve torn those rods down a lot for builds and all that is under there is Shrink tube. Then they wrapped black thread on top and epoxied it. 

I wouldnt worry about it and just keep fishing it. 

what he said. it has nothing to do with reel seat. its the ramp to transition from top of reel seat to meet the grip. could be thread, tape, shrink tubing. Put a coat flex coat same thing will happen again, by the way if you do yourself the rod has to rotated for a few hours.