CJS

Keypad Door Locks

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Anybody have any experience with newer keypad style door locks? Are they a PITA or do they make your life easier? Any concerns with durability or safety?

I was in HD today to get a couple door locks to replace the builder grade locks on our house. Good luck finding a keyed alike pair on the shelf in there. I went online to order a set and it seems there are more smart lock options than regular keyed locks. Made me reconsider that option.

We live in a pretty safe place and I sleep pretty soundly. If someone really wanted in now they could probably get in. 

Just curious if anyone has any opinions??

CJ

I tried a Kwickset keyless deadbolt that automatically locked, was noisy and annoying as hell. I use a old fashioned mechanical pushbutton latch type, a Codelock. It's less secure than a deadbolt but definitely makes life easier, particularly for the kids.

Schlage makes a way better push button lock than Kwikset . That said, if ya really want good push-button and control/security, look at commercial stuff. 

I'm a locksmith, and have Schlage push buttons in my home and put them in my girlfriends home as well. 

Whatever ya choose, never go with a true key-less unit. You will get screwed at some point.

I have the Yale locks on three doors. No real complaints. Multiple combinations per door. Single-use codes. Housekeeper codes. Key backup. They will integrate with our Conteol 4 system and I have the wireless modules installed but have not activated that, don’t miss it.

YaleRealLiving_US15TouchscreenDeadboltEx

31 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Schlage makes a way better push button lock than Kwikset . That said, if ya really want good push-button and control/security, look at commercial stuff. 

I'm a locksmith, and have Schlage push buttons in my home and put them in my girlfriends home as well. 

Whatever ya choose, never go with a true key-less unit. You will get screwed at some point.

Are those autolocking deadbolts? It worked ok, it was that damn whining motor throwing the bolt that's annoying. I'd prefer one that was spring driven.

28 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Wow.....   "...damn whining motor..." ??

A little sound bothers you? 

Obviously not so little! It's also in the hallway of an apartment building with awful acoustics in the stairwell, a sound 3 floors up seems like it's outside your door. It seemed rude to keep it.

We have the Schlage and it’s great. It was easy to install and simple to use. No more kids getting locked out after forgetting their keys. You can input multiple codes so each family member has a code they can easily remember. I highly recommend it.

Battery operated door locks are the strangest thing. Would be very interesting if a door maker comes up with a fully integrated smart door that is wired to your panel.

1 hour ago, Mojoe said:

We have the Schlage and it’s great. It was easy to install and simple to use. No more kids getting locked out after forgetting their keys. You can input multiple codes so each family member has a code they can easily remember. I highly recommend it.

Is it a latch or a deadbolt?

Posted (edited) · Report post

33 mins ago, Mojoe said:

It’s a deadbolt.

Does it lock automatically? If so, is it a motor or what? 

EDIT: I looked it up, and it's a manual lock with a keypad that does not automatically lock. In my house, in that case, it would never be locked! I can't even get my wife to lock the back door, and we live in the city. She'll actually shut the door, but not throw the bolt. She has no explanation why, just looks at me like I'm an idiot when I ask "why bother shutting the door if you're not going to lock it". To her it's just aesthetics, like shutting cabinet doors.

Edited by gellfex