fishfinder401

Steelhead rods

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So, I picked up a north fork steelhead blank at the RISAA show this weekend, and while i am trying to think of the best aplication for it, the rating on the rod confuses me... its very lift, 8ft 2, but says 3/4-4oz weights and 10-20lb line... i feel like if i cast 4oz with this thing it would just snap the tip.

so is it possible it really is strong enough for that, and that its just that I am not used to these rods, or is it over rated?

1 hour ago, the mekon said:

Wonder if it for downrigging / trolling in tidal waters?

just a thought because of the weight ratings.

I dont think so, from the listing I found for this model it said steelhead plugging if I remember corectly

these are the exact specs, and its technically under their  "salmon and steel head" line 

Plug  SSP 828-1    10-20         3/8-4    8'2"      Ex-Fast     Mag M

Sounds like it's rated incorrectly . Steelhead blanks usually up to 1oz lures certainly not 4oz !  Ten to 20 lb line is within reason I would say 6-12 average 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mekon is correct. I have the identical rod and it won't even come close to throwing 3 oz effectively, much less 4 oz.  But it's a dynamite rod that will throw a 2 oz kastmaster over the horizon, but that's even stretching it for a power cast.  The problem with the rating is that it was designed as a salmon/steelhead plugging rod--totally different framework from surf rod ratings.  It has the backbone to drift fish with larger plugs up to 4 oz but with a taper / tip that adds action to them.  I use mine surf fishing for red drum here in NC, and it excels at throwing hard baits in the 3/4 oz - 1 1/2 oz range long distances, and it absolutely destroys the will of a fish in a fight even though it is feather light.  The only thing I don't like about it is that because it was designed as a SH plugging rod, it has a very long butt that definitely gets in the way of working artificial baits.  Since you bought a blank, you can customize, but you will also have an entirely different animal than what I've got.  If you don't mind voiding the one year warranty, you can cut off the butt or tip or both a little.  But that's the domain of an experienced rod builder, and you'll be taking a chance if you do it without that level of insight and experience.  I love mine though I subsequently purchased one of their 8' inshore rods (ISR) that has a shorter butt and is better suited to that task. 

Note:  I C&P'd this from the Lamiglas site.  Same thing as their line of trolling / drifting rods as opposed to other styles:

Trolling-Rod Rating

When it comes to salmon trolling rods you may be surprised at the lure rating. A rod that has a pretty soft action may say 1-8 ounces. This may produce a sluggish cast. This rating could be applied to the ideal trolling weight to load the rod with rather than a casting rating

Edited by bmac

10 mins ago, bmac said:

Mekon is correct. I have the identical rod and it won't even come close to throwing 3 oz effectively, much less 4 oz.  But it's a dynamite rod that will throw a 2 oz kastmaster over the horizon, but that's even stretching it for a power cast.  The problem with the rating is that it was designed as a salmon/steelhead plugging rod--totally different framework from surf rod ratings.  It has the backbone to drift fish with larger plugs up to 4 oz but with a taper / tip that adds action to them.  I use mine surf fishing for red drum here in NC, and it excels at throwing hard baits in the 3/4 oz - 1 1/2 oz range long distances, and it absolutely destroys the will of a fish in a fight even though it is feather light.  The only thing I don't like about it is that because it was designed as a SH plugging rod, it has a very long butt that definitely gets in the way of working artificial baits.  Since you bought a blank, you can customize, but you will also have an entirely different animal than what I've got.  If you don't mind voiding the one year warranty, you can cut off the butt or tip or both a little.  But that's the domain of an experienced rod builder, and you'll be taking a chance if you do it without that level of insight and experience.  I love mine though I subsequently purchased one of their 8' inshore rods (ISR) that has a shorter butt and is better suited to that task. 

That's good to hear, I kind of fealt 2 would be its functional limit, but I plan to use it for mostly light bucktailing and for smaller plugs. I think I'll keep it the full length for the extra distance on the cast, but I also dont have any waranty so i could cut it down, got it from someone at the rissa show for 30$ 

Anything else about the blank you can tell me? Should I have guides reletivley closely spaced?

FF401:  Sorry, but I just don't have the knowledge on rod building that could help you on guide spacing.  I could measure mine, but with the reel seat placing and long butt, I don't think that would be helpful to your build.  I think there's a forum out there somewhere on NFC rod building that may help.  They've been getting bashed pretty hard on a thread on this site recently for customer service, but they are still the best rods I've ever fished with bar none.  

7 hours ago, bmac said:

FF401:  Sorry, but I just don't have the knowledge on rod building that could help you on guide spacing.  I could measure mine, but with the reel seat placing and long butt, I don't think that would be helpful to your build.  I think there's a forum out there somewhere on NFC rod building that may help.  They've been getting bashed pretty hard on a thread on this site recently for customer service, but they are still the best rods I've ever fished with bar none.  

That's fine, when I go to build it I'll probably make a thread on there

On 3/24/2019 at 5:52 PM, fishfinder401 said:

these are the exact specs, and its technically under their  "salmon and steel head" line 

Plug  SSP 828-1    10-20         3/8-4    8'2"      Ex-Fast     Mag M

Ratings aside...is the blank really ex-fast? 

19 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Ratings aside...is the blank really ex-fast? 

i would say so from the bending i have done, looks like a very soft tip, but a very strong backbone, ill take some pictures later when im home