DoorGunner

Won't be long now.

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

I love fishing that spot.  Im local to that area as well. I got my phone out and took some video as i couldnt believe the amount of birds in that area.  Ospreys too

It's like End Of Days over there.  I feel like they no something we don't :)  

Every type of seabird, crows, hawks, vultures, ospreys all circling together. 

On 3/25/2019 at 0:40 PM, Sparky said:

Ospreys have been hunting overhead for the last 2 weeks by me.

Just saw my first red winged blackbird yesterday. 

Sparrows are making a racket, but the junkos are still here.

I noticed some small birds with red and brown on the the back/face. They look a lot like a sparrow but just a little smaller. They are feeding with the sparrows on the feeders. Have not seen them on the ground. Any ideas? 

Would need a pic....

possibilities:

_red/yellow house finches

_chicadee[black/gray/white]

_titmouse[graish blue]

_downy woodpecker

_cardinal[red/brownish red]

_grackle[blackish]

to name a few common types

I keep checking my drop net every day. Even with no bait there are always mud snails in it because they treat it like a nursery. Soon when I lift the net I will find hundreds even thousands of small yellow eggs attached all over the net. Will post a pic as soon as that happens and also keeping an eye on the grass shrimp because once the water hits a certain temp the females load up with eggs for the spawn. That is the key in the back bays. Billions and billions of grass shrimp dropping hundreds of eggs each that starts the food pump for all the baby fish about to be born. Here is an old pic of a male and female grass shrimp. Notice the dark mass on her belly. These are the hundreds of eggs she will drop to prime the pump. Always exciting this time of year when the back bays are about to explode with new life.

DSCN0477.jpg.e237c5366e4860b14692b9f42b42d9da.jpg   

55 mins ago, bdawk said:

It's like End Of Days over there.  I feel like they no something we don't :)  

Every type of seabird, crows, hawks, vultures, ospreys all circling together. 

Yeah its been wild. I keep thinking the fishing is going to blow open but the only thing blowing open are the birds and the bunker looking for air.  

I feel like DoorGunner is my personal Bob Ross for explaining the cycle of life in the back bay.  I read the posts in a smooth, Bob Ross delivery with little accents here and there.

These threads are my happy place.  Thanks DoorGunner!

Sparky , Without seeing the bird your describing it’s hard to say . They sound like either House Finch or Purple Finch ( which are red ) based on my notes , and with the rise in temps predicted in my area , north east  New Jersey , various warblers will start making their appearance . I’ve noticed a very few early birds already. I’m out walking /birding almost every day . Great time of the year for our little feathered friends ! Bill J