DoorGunner

Won't be long now.

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Seeing lots of changes around town this past week. The sparrows I feed at the dock have mostly left as they search out the better nesting sites. Lawns are turning green and the trees along the Garden State Parkway are full of buds just itching to break out. This week we should see or hear the first laughing gull return along with ospreys and oyster catchers and then it happens. 

The beautiful swimmers (blueclaws) will emerge from their long winter sleep just inches below the mud and sand. Me and the Honey love eating fresh fish but last year we hit the bullseye with blueclaws. Caught them all week long right off the dock and held them in a pen. Thursday evening I would take them home and cook them for the weekend. Twice a week we had crabs for dinner all season long and never tired of them. 

I know many believe that early season crabs are light in weight but I have never found this to be true. They seem to come out of hibernation ready to eat and full of meat. As soon as the water temps hit the low 50's I will take my two pots and set them in the shallows where early season crabs like to gather for the warmer water. We are both ready to sit down and crack some shell. Don't make the mistake and miss out on this early season treat. Get the pots ready for a good case of the crabs.   

PS. This week I will be putting bait in the drop net. First sign will be baby blueclaws about the size of your thumbnail and will post a pic as soon as that happens. 

Edited by DoorGunner

Sure enough right on time. A little fresh water fishing yesterday and while catching some minnows I found my first great egret of the season doing exactly what I was doing. Saw my first osprey at the lake I was fishing but it passed overhead while I was hooked up with a pickerel.

IMG_2220.JPG.67e5ffd195a8bfb1f26a291f5f344168.JPG

DG, keep your posts and pictures coming. Last week in central Jersey while on my deck I heard unique calls of a group large birds flying high in the sky. I looked up and saw what I thought was at least 10 blue herons in formation flying north to south with a loud honking but with almost a trumpeting type of call. I contacted my local bird expert and he identified them as probably Sandhill Cranes which have been seen in our area. Its amazing what nature reveals to you in the Spring if you stop, look and listen once in a while.

58 mins ago, TheFishing Pole said:

DG, keep your posts and pictures coming. Last week in central Jersey while on my deck I heard unique calls of a group large birds flying high in the sky. I looked up and saw what I thought was at least 10 blue herons in formation flying north to south with a loud honking but with almost a trumpeting type of call. I contacted my local bird expert and he identified them as probably Sandhill Cranes which have been seen in our area. Its amazing what nature reveals to you in the Spring if you stop, look and listen once in a while.

that's good, never hear a great blue heron "honk" ... they do a more prehistoric screech

A Sandhill Crane??? that would be an exotic for me... just reading about them, seems like they've not been common up here until recently (since the early 2000s the sandhill crane has expanded both its winter (non-breeding) and breeding ranges northward, including into upstate New York.[30][31] In the 21st century, parts of the Midwestern United States have seen an extensive rebound of the species.[32])

Any tog biting at your local jetties ?       going to try where the big boats pulls out of in a couple of weeks.   had one good morning last april  on the jetty with a veteran that got us on. 

Ospreys have been hunting overhead for the last 2 weeks by me.

Just saw my first red winged blackbird yesterday. 

Sparrows are making a racket, but the junkos are still here.

I noticed some small birds with red and brown on the the back/face. They look a lot like a sparrow but just a little smaller. They are feeding with the sparrows on the feeders. Have not seen them on the ground. Any ideas? 

Been hearing those birds or whatever that do the WOOwoowoowooooowooo thing so I knew spring/summer was on its way in. We're already back as far as I'm concerned. Been fishing 3 times in the last 10 days. Been BBQing a ton, hanging outside. Loving it! Looks like a t-shirt and shorts kind of day Friday/Saturday! Slammed the largemouth yesterday. Fishing like midseason form. Gear is working great, I've been casting well - just awesome.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Ospreys have been hunting overhead for the last 2 weeks by me.

Just saw my first red winged blackbird yesterday. 

Sparrows are making a racket, but the junkos are still here.

I noticed some small birds with red and brown on the the back/face. They look a lot like a sparrow but just a little smaller. They are feeding with the sparrows on the feeders. Have not seen them on the ground. Any ideas? 

Probably don't need to hunt much with all that dead bait that was in the back of teh river.

33 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Probably don't need to hunt much with all that dead bait that was in the back of teh river.

I live near where there was a big fish kill about a week ago.  Birds have been over it non stop.  A flock of 500-1000 birds circled above all afternoon yesterday.  I've lived here 15 yrs and haven't seen anything like that before. 

14 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Been hearing those birds or whatever that do the WOOwoowoowooooowooo thing so I knew spring/summer was on its way in. We're already back as far as I'm concerned. Been fishing 3 times in the last 10 days. Been BBQing a ton, hanging outside. Loving it! Looks like a t-shirt and shorts kind of day Friday/Saturday! Slammed the largemouth yesterday. Fishing like midseason form. Gear is working great, I've been casting well - just awesome.

That sounds like it might be morning doves.

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, Sparky said:

house finches. they're around all winter. :howdy: 

Edited by rocco

Saw my first Snowy Egrets/Ospreys yesterday too. Behind Absecon island marshes. Lots of bird activity in the back Bay, sea ducks diving for bait.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:39 PM, bdawk said:

I live near where there was a big fish kill about a week ago.  Birds have been over it non stop.  A flock of 500-1000 birds circled above all afternoon yesterday.  I've lived here 15 yrs and haven't seen anything like that before. 

I love fishing that spot.  Im local to that area as well. I got my phone out and took some video as i couldnt believe the amount of birds in that area.  Ospreys too