Water Dog

Partyboat fluke reel gearing and line weight

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, Mike said:

Interesting. I have a bw150-7 stock and feel it gets mushy over 4ozs. How far are you trimming? Inches?

John Skinner does the same thing to his Jigging World Nexus 701C-H rod for fluke.  He cuts 4” off the rod to stiffen the tip to bounce heavier bucktails.  Here’s a YouTube video where he takes 4” off a Tsunami Classic for the same purpose.

Edited by Water Dog

On 3/24/2019 at 8:54 AM, pricise10 said:

I don’t like anything higher then 5’s gear ratio reels. I usually use 10.15 and 20 lb test, yes I’m a ultra light user. 

I do the same or similar for Skinner style fluking under 6oz.  For Fluking anything over 10lb braid is overkill.  Significantly less drag than 20lb (but not a 50% improvement however).  The deeper the water more dramatic the improvement.

When I build on a new bottom fishing blank the first time I do not make any modifications and then fish it frequently and see how performs.  Once I know it’s capability I can then make modifications.   I have been doing this for many years with great success.

1 hour ago, Al Goldberg said:

About 3 inches

Thank you Al. I need to do this. When fluking with the stock rod I find I'm often moving the rod a significant distance before the jig really moves. 

I'm also thinking of the Lexa 300 HS for a possible trip on the Helen H to fish the Nantucket shoal for fluke and sea bass. From what I hear it may be a little under gunned and I'm thinking it's more than adequate. I have no experience with the area fishing technique so anyone who has I'd appreciate your input. Don't want to put big bucks for a reel that will get minimum use. 

19 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

I'm also thinking of the Lexa 300 HS for a possible trip on the Helen H to fish the Nantucket shoal for fluke and sea bass. From what I hear it may be a little under gunned and I'm thinking it's more than adequate. I have no experience with the area fishing technique so anyone who has I'd appreciate your input. Don't want to put big bucks for a reel that will get minimum use. 

Arent you fishing minimum 6 oz n more up there? I dunno if i would go with a Lopro Baitcaster.What bout this.?

daiwa-kyohga-jdm-jigging-reels.jpg

Edited by Snaps

8 mins ago, Snaps said:

Arent you fishing minimum 6 oz n more up there? I dunno if i would go with a Lopro Baitcaster.What bout this.?

What is it?

8 mins ago, Snaps said:

Can't make out what kind of reel it is, just got small pic.

4 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Read this  

18 hours ago, Mike said:

Eff the SX. Lever drags have no place in fluke fishing.

Ok why eff the lever drag?

How hard is it to pull the lever back with your thumb?

Please explane.

Mako arent you pretty much jigging straight up and down, up there??

How often you let out line?

Edited by Snaps

Currently I have two Penn Mag 525 and looking at Penn Fathom 12. Just started researching the reel, weight 16oz. Thanks for the responses.