HanoverStriper

Starting to hear them

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, west tide said:

They were late this year for some reason

Despite the mild winter, it ended cold.

The last couple snows, moderate as they were, lingered, insulated the ground and vernal pools. 

The winter thunderstorm last week failed to unlock most of north-central Ma, amphibians only migrated in isolated warmer pockets.

The rains Thursday night probably moved a bunch. I would expect to hear them this coming week. 

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Despite the mild winter, it ended cold.

The last couple snows, moderate as they were, lingered, insulated the ground and vernal pools. 

The winter thunderstorm last week failed to unlock most of north-central Ma, amphibians only migrated in isolated warmer pockets.

The rains Thursday night probably moved a bunch. I would expect to hear them this coming week. 

There wasn’t any insulating snow on the cape. I’ve seen March colder than this and the peepers were out sooner

Saw ice fisherman this AM, still a foot of snow and ice on my front yard.....:dismay:

Did see my first Western Mass. Osprey yesterday, and a Sand Hill Crane this morning. :th:

3 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Saw ice fisherman this AM, still a foot of snow and ice on my front yard.....:dismay:

Did see my first Western Mass. Osprey yesterday, and a Sand Hill Crane this morning. :th:

Big burst of sandhill crane this year.

Didn't see, or try to see one myself but lots of reports.

Still haven’t heard one peeper yet in the pond behind my house in Marshfield. Very strange not to be hearing them sing in the evening so far. 

Those "quacking" frogs are starting up hr in central ma. Not sure what their technical name is. But only peepers ive heard are in ct. 

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Those "quacking" frogs are starting up hr in central ma. Not sure what their technical name is. But only peepers ive heard are in ct. 

Wood frogs