hunter123

Cabelas after BPS.

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Bass pro done everything they could to eliminate the local sporting good shops and succeeded in many areas in this country. Now that quality local stores have been run out of business BP no longer sells there products at competitive prices. My daughter and son in law both worked at BP while in college. They treat and pay there employees like *hit, constantly trying to force them to work extended hours on there part-time no benefits shifts knowing full well that most of there employees at this location had school obligations.In the same boat as wally world in my opinion. $$ck them.

Will say was just in my local dicks yesterday grabbing some soccer stuff for kid .. man they stepped thier saltwater game up huge .. tons of new s and s tins , every yozori , sp Cordell , ta you could want, loads of bucktails  .. even had a bin full of pretty decent quality deer tails ..  I was surprised.. with 20$ off 100$ you can stock up for not to much money 

Just to get a change of scenery last night took a ride to Bridgeport BPS. My intention was to grab a bite to eat there with my son., and then pick up one small item I needed to fishing rebuilding a reel. I wanted the Reel Butter grease. In an earlier post here I mentioned how my son and I go to BPS just to see what they don't have. It was true again. No Reel Butter.

Restaurant staff was friendly enough, food was worthy of a C-, My son had his beer given to him in a can, mine in a bottle, no glasses.

The neck of that bottle could have been anywhere before being served!

I try to go to the mom and pop stores, but they're few and far in between. And if I want something, but not in a hurry, I'll order from the smaller mom and pop stores online.

In a nutshell BPS...You're starting to suck. Stop resting on your laurels, and get back to remembering the customer.

I would bet their move is into privately labeled clothing. The markup on a penn reel and daiwa rod is probably in the area of 30-40% even private label reels it might be 50-60%. A bass pro jacket on the other hand might be in the 300% range. Some guys will still go there due to lack of options or they want that bps hat, but yeah the Bridgeport one sucks. 

I never buy there hats, for that matter there clothing. My kids get me cabela's gift cards for birthdays and holidays. That's the only time I went, and I just get tackle or  big ticket item, rod's reel's. Hats and clothes I get from local B & T's wherever I'm fishing. Like getting a manento from where I fished, Other cloths I get from Tackledirect.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:30 AM, Wire For Fire said:

Will say was just in my local dicks yesterday grabbing some soccer stuff for kid .. man they stepped thier saltwater game up huge .. tons of new s and s tins , every yozori , sp Cordell , ta you could want, loads of bucktails  .. even had a bin full of pretty decent quality deer tails ..  I was surprised.. with 20$ off 100$ you can stock up for not to much money 

you notice any decent waders or wading boots bruh?

31 mins ago, Reed422 said:

you notice any decent waders or wading boots bruh?

Nah sorry cap didn’t look , was in a hurry ..  crazy been didn’t take your boots back . I know the whole policy change but they just honored me on pair of emerger boot foots that were like less then 2 years old and leaked like crazy , seams seaped then rubber split on boot, then same spot on next boot split .. I had gooped  like every inch of seams and around top of boot and split and crothc to try and salvage ..  they lady said “ well you certainly tried to repair them “ lol need original receipt, but walked out with brand new emerger 2s . We see how they hold up , but they told me if I keep receipt they will still warranty manufacture error like seapage .. 

2 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Nah sorry cap didn’t look , was in a hurry ..  crazy been didn’t take your boots back . I know the whole policy change but they just honored me on pair of emerger boot foots that were like less then 2 years old and leaked like crazy , seams seaped then rubber split on boot, then same spot on next boot split .. I had gooped  like every inch of seams and around top of boot and split and crothc to try and salvage ..  they lady said “ well you certainly tried to repair them “ lol need original receipt, but walked out with brand new emerger 2s . We see how they hold up , but they told me if I keep receipt they will still warranty manufacture error like seapage .. 

I'm not done with Bean bro. Was just on the phone with them I'm mailing my boots back. Check out their return policy:

If you are not 100% satisfied with one of our products, you may return it within one year of purchase for a refund. (Please note that products purchased before February 9, 2018, are not subject to this one-year time limit.) After one year, we will consider any items for return that are defective due to materials or craftsmanship.

We require proof of purchase to honor a refund or exchange. If you provide us your information when you check out, we will typically have a record of your purchase. Otherwise, we require a physical receipt.

Please include your proof of purchase with the products you wish to return or exchange and bring it with you to any of our stores, or include it in your package of returned item(s). We will reimburse the original purchase price to either your original method of payment or as a merchandise credit.

They violated their own terms of service. They let me return a pair of leaky waders because they "looked" better than my boots. My boots are 100% broken. I asked the pimple faced puke at the register if he'd ever been fishing because he told my my boots looked beat up. He of course said no. Shocking. 

I've had 10 orders since 2016 to ll bean and probably as much in store. They are idiots to do this to loyal customers.

In the past week I have received 20 emails from both of them. I’ve opted out multiple times. It continue to get them. The last two or three from cabelas, I couldn’t even unsubscribe. 

Very friggin annoying. 

i stopped at one while in Nevada for work and was pissed there was no more bargain cave. i asked an associate and she told me when they merged they got rid of it. i always found gold in the bargain cave. besides that i thought there was still a good selection of stuff for every outdoors activity. i would never go to bps or cabelas to buy surf gear but that's just me.

I never really shopped bass pro for gear so can’t speak much on their stores, did eat at one though on vacation in Marathon FL back in 07 was really good imo. But Cabelas always was one of my favorite stores for firearms/hunting,etc related items. They aren’t as relevant pricing wise anymore with all the “street” prices you can find on the web nowadays, but damn I miss the huge catalogues they used to send. The biggest difference I notice since they were bought out is the decline in used firearms(walking the racks was the best part) and reloading equipment. Of course being in NY we have the “unSafeAct” now so your limited on what can be purchased, but you could still find some good surplus deals. I really need to try the big Cabelas up in PA again and see if it’s changed. 

The most annoying thing I find about BPS and Cabelas lately is how much of their own brand of crappy tackle and gear they stock.  They have their own knockoff version of every new bait that comes out and there’s not much quality tackle stocked on the shelves anymore. 

On 3/24/2019 at 1:18 PM, The TideRunner said:

I haven't been up to Cabelas in E Hartford in a while, But stupidly I keep going back to Bridgeport BPS. Myy son and I will get bored and we'll say to one another, "Want to go to Bass Pro Shop and see what they don't have in stock?" The place is great if you want a hundred of the same item, but there is no selection of that item. Same with rods, no selction within any given brand.

A year ago before turkey season, I went in needing shells. They had a very limited selection, hardly any camo gear, and as I walked by the gun display I saw a gun that caught my eye.

It was a Weatherby Turkey gun auto at a great price. Walked over to the salesman who had two big butt cheeks hanging off a stool and asked him if it was the right price, and that I was interested in buying the gun. Without getting up, he kind of angrily told me he couldn't sell a gun to me on a Sunday. I'm pretty sure that's false info. No attempt to ask me if I'd like to see it, nothing. They lost a sale that day, well maybe the next day.

I find the staff not knowledgeable about what they're selling. The survey/salespitch people annoy the living s**t out of me. It's gotten so I really can't stand the place, but now there is only one local B+T shop around.

With all the clothing they have on racks at BPS, it seems like they're trying to become another L L Bean.

Technically the kid was right. After 6 or 7 pm sat. They can't run the state check required for you to purchase the gun and take it home.

3 hours ago, scone said:

Technically the kid was right. After 6 or 7 pm sat. They can't run the state check required for you to purchase the gun and take it home.

Wasn't a kid, but an adult, that was kinda nasty about it, and wouldn't even get off his chair to show me the gun. So technically correct or not, that's not customer service. I could have easily gone back on MOnday and purchased it. But if you can't be bothered to show the gun, I can't be bothered to open my wallet. There are other gun shops around. Sadly though, a lot less than there was at one time.