hunter123

Cabelas after BPS.

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

My expectations are always low when I go in either store, I used to love cabelas when it was a catalog that came from Nebraska a long time ago. 

^ used to be awesome pre internet.  Frist couple times I went into stores they were (seemed?) fully stocked and diverse and great prices.  

As time went on, that seemed to have gone away.

I am still peeved that they dropped the Tourny Trail rod line.   Those little tourny trail rods on sale for 30 bucks are imo/ime are unparaelled under 100 bucks.  Wish I bought more.  Sold out online and not coming back.  6' med or ml is pond fishing bliss.  

22 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Here in CT they cut way back on donating cheapy kids rods to fishing derbies. Would like to know their lobby position on striper conservation. Probably the same as OTW. Fish em' till the money well runs dry.

They supported the modern fish act.

So, they can both go screw off.

The E. Hartford store has gone downhill. No bargain cave!! I went in there in December and the place looked barren. The racks were spread way out, with little to no sale or clearance items. Also .. whats up with the dim lighting?? Kind of like Foxboro, you need a headlamp in the clothing sections!

If everyone supported their local B-T, then you should most certainly have one or two nearby ‘

Tackle direct and others get my business , wouldn’t spend  a dime in BP or Cabelas !

Plenty of choices 

I'm shocked with so many other options offering better pricing, better variety,  faster and cheaper shipping.   That anyone even buys anything from them.

I bought some baits from bass pro that looked like the big bite bait squirrel tails.  Bought due to the color only...turns out the color was way off in the image.  Which sucked......That I believe was my only purchase from them this century.....

And I still get occasional catologs.

Mudhole is the catalog ho now..lol

I had a BPS points card so I would get things at BPS from time to time. Generally, I would save up my point for a year or two and get some big ticket item. While I still have the card I have stopped using it, once BPS came out in support of the modern fish act it was time to dump them. I'm only keeping it open because I still have a decent amount of points left. I'm saving them for some freshwater stuff, I jsut don't know what I want yet. 

I've been to the Bridgeport store, it sucks, at least as far as saltwater fishing is concerned. I'd rather purchase that stuff from the local shop as well.

Hopefully, BPS/Cabelas will start a decently fast death spiral towards oblivion. 

The Cabelas in Wheeling has really gone downhill, unless you want Bass Pro brand clothing, then the place is full of it. I think the Cabelas brand and name will soon disappear and be absorbed by BPS. Also heard the employees got a rotten deal after the takeover. 

Yeah, Seems like we all gree. I'm done with them both. I'll stick with East  Marine in Delaware, and Tackledirect  for online. I think the only reason I went there , was for the grandkids and the wild meat .  Now no more.

1 hour ago, Capt. Lou said:

If everyone supported their local B-T, then you should most certainly have one or two nearby ‘

Tackle direct and others get my business , wouldn’t spend  a dime in BP or Cabelas !

Plenty of choices 

Right on. If anyone is ever around the Bridgeport BPS, don't walk in. Shoot me a PM anytime. I know two great tackle shops within minutes of BPS. Good guys that deserve your money, support our sport on all fronts and genuinely appreciate your business.

I have 2 really good tackle stores within a couple miles of me that I always hit first, but they don't have much striper specific stuff. Today I went to Cabelas Hamburg, who used to have a half way decent selection for some things the locals didn't have. Never again! If the local guys don't have it I'll wait until I'm in striper country & hit the usual guys up or I'll just use the inter web machine.

When I'm fishing the DE seashore, I have been going to Old Inlet B & T 53 years. Here where I live I use Herbs. My local B & T.

People want to spend more time and money looking the part than doing it.

Fishing and hunting is a game of patience.

Bass pro / cabelas are trying to keep alive in the 21st century.

Our local tackle shops are trying to be tackle shops.

The rod selection is horrible. I usually save up my points and get an expensive rod every other year. They basically stopped carrying most of G Loomis stuff. Cabelas starting getting "Yuppified" a few years before the takeover and now its worse. Never like BP stuff to begin with. I live 20 min from Tackle Direct..after I get rid of these points I'll be going there from now on.

I wonder how their warranty stacks up against beans. Just had a bad experience trying to return wading boots to beans.