Cabelas after BPS.

Rate this topic

hunter123

Went to Cabela's for the first time since BPS bought them out. I have bought some things online . Well it felt like different store. Looks like they have a smaller selection of surf fishing equipment. NO more wild game sandwiches. Smaller used gun section, unless you only want a Nagant. I mean it was the same store but just felt weird. Still it was nice to get out and buy.  I just went for fishing equipment. Did seem like the freshwater equipment was  out the a$s.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

The store in Hamburg went to ****.  No more bargin cave, which often times was the whole reason I went.  The rod selection has been restocked since some time last year other then with bass pro brand stuff.  At this point I really have no reason to give them any more business 

Don't like either,I have a hard time spending a gift card i get.

I bought korkers.

Their website is set up to showcase their products. It bugs me but i guess that's buisness.

I try to support local bait shops when i can.

My favorite shop closed recently.

troll #122  <*)))<

I do the local B & T also at the beach. Up here I only have East marine in Newark. But Once or twice a year i would like to drop in. Online I like tackle direct better. I only use the kids gift cards online for Cabela's.

Yes, it seems Cabelas is being pulled back, just like the fishing isles in Wallyworld and Kmart. I think the focus now is more on the parent store. I was impressed recently with the saltwater section at the Bridgeport, Ct. BPS

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I filled a customer survey out , I told them how I felt. No problem with the workers, They were great. I told the problem comes from above. But I'm in for a $500.00 gift card. Ya think I'll win?

15 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Would like to know their lobby position on striper conservation. 

I have no idea of what their current position on bass.  However, Johnny Morris, who heads the place, was one of the prime movers behind the 2014 report that led to the Modern Fish Act.  And that report used striped bass as an example of GOOD recreational fishery management.  

That probably says something.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

i liked Cabelas better before BPS took them over. I thought customer service was better, before BPS and feel the Bargain Cave deals aren’t much of a bargain anymore. Recently they cancelled and order on me after Imhad waited several months for an item to be back in stock. I even called Cabelas to make sure I’d be getting the item and was assured that their computers showed there was additional stock on order. Then, I logged into their site and saw my order had been cancelled. No explanation, no offer of an alternate product; nothing. 

I won’t say that I’ll never buy from them again but I wasted a lot of time waiting patiently for my order and even gave up other opportunities to buy from other vendors because Cabelas assured me my order would be fulfilled. Disappointed,  to say the least.

I haven't been up to Cabelas in E Hartford in a while, But stupidly I keep going back to Bridgeport BPS. Myy son and I will get bored and we'll say to one another, "Want to go to Bass Pro Shop and see what they don't have in stock?" The place is great if you want a hundred of the same item, but there is no selection of that item. Same with rods, no selction within any given brand.

A year ago before turkey season, I went in needing shells. They had a very limited selection, hardly any camo gear, and as I walked by the gun display I saw a gun that caught my eye.

It was a Weatherby Turkey gun auto at a great price. Walked over to the salesman who had two big butt cheeks hanging off a stool and asked him if it was the right price, and that I was interested in buying the gun. Without getting up, he kind of angrily told me he couldn't sell a gun to me on a Sunday. I'm pretty sure that's false info. No attempt to ask me if I'd like to see it, nothing. They lost a sale that day, well maybe the next day.

I find the staff not knowledgeable about what they're selling. The survey/salespitch people annoy the living s**t out of me. It's gotten so I really can't stand the place, but now there is only one local B+T shop around.

With all the clothing they have on racks at BPS, it seems like they're trying to become another L L Bean.

My expectations are always low when I go in either store, I used to love cabelas when it was a catalog that came from Nebraska a long time ago. I have a rewards credit card that gets me free gear and I use those to get gear but rarely spend any money out of pocket to get anything from them. It is difficult some time to even spend my free rewards and gift cards as the selection is limited and I want specific items. 

9 mins ago, giggyfish said:

My expectations are always low when I go in either store, I used to love cabelas when it was a catalog that came from Nebraska a long time ago. I have a rewards credit card that gets me free gear and I use those to get gear but rarely spend any money out of pocket to get anything from them. It is difficult some time to even spend my free rewards and gift cards as the selection is limited and I want specific items. 

I feel the same about the old days for Cabelas. I really hate shopping at BPS but will go if I have to. Locals when possible and then Tackle Direct. BPS has no shareholders yet the prices are nothing special. EFF them.

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

Never liked BassPro. They have huge buying power but pass nothing in value onto the buyer. I go when I am in Florida to look around but prefer buying in Walmart's and local tackle dealers. Now they have Cabelas they will ruin it into their likeness. Even the emails they send out ( I receive both) are advertising identical gear at identical prices. I hope the acquisition blows up into the BPS executives faces. Johnny Morris. Bah