Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
8fishermen

4000 sized spinning for distance?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys.  Been a while since i stopped by.  

Are there any 3000 or 4000 sized reels that are built like the larger distance reels?  I'm looking for good line lay and spool design for as much distance as possible with a lighter smaller reel for 8' rods.

Thanks

What defines distance?

What are you throwing and how far do you want / expect to cast?

5000 sized Shimano like a Stradic filled with 8-15lb braid will cast very far, but is this sufficient for your needs?

Penn's new Conflict II LC in a 4000 looks promising, but have to try one to be sure.

Have you perhaps considered a longer (light action, but not a noodle) rod?

TFO's GIS 11' 1/2-2oz seems very similar to what we use down here for throwing metals in the 1-2oz range and plugs like  GT ice creams in the 1-2oz range with 5000 sized (Shimano sizing) reels and 8-20lb braid

Edited by ZAFisher

Daiwa 2600SS Whisker Tournament has been around for decades = proven long cast, highly reliable reel - just be careful that handle, before casting (with bail open) is, when looking at the handle side of the reel, between 8 O'clock and 4 O'clock, since bail is automatic return and a hard cast can move the handle enough to close the bail.  The Penn Spinfisher IV now comes in a 5500LC, so it is another, more "surf" robust, but heavier reel than the Conflict II LC reel.  The reel that is quite popular in the UK, France, etc. when plugging for European Sea Bass (cousin of the Striper) is the Daiwa Surf Basia QD25 (which is magsealed), the Pro Cargo 4500, the Shore Cast 25A and the Emcast Surf 4500.  

On 3/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, 8fishermen said:

Are there any 3000 or 4000 sized reels that are built like the larger distance reels?  I'm looking for good line lay and spool design for as much distance as possible with a lighter smaller reel for 8' rods.

Thanks

Have a Penn Slammer III 4500 on a 7 foot rod and was able to cast 2-3 oz lures just as far as folks with 10-12 foot rods.  Not sure if that says more about my casting ability or theirs, but I’ve been happy with my throws using the 4500 :)

Edited by _Doug_
Typo

On 4/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, Jcallaham said:

Google up shimano AR-C  Aero . Kinda neat little reels.

I've owned the AR-C Aero......the new Stradic FL has it beat for distance with the longer spool stroke, not to mention the improved visuals. The 4000 has the same spool stroke and diameter as the 5000  but more shallow.....which will not negatively affect distance.

12 hours ago, dcast said:

The 4000 has the same spool stroke and diameter as the 5000  but more shallow.....which will not negatively affect distance.

Good to know. The new lightweight king has arrived.

my latest purchase is an AR_C 4000. it was a tough choice between that and the  stradic. The stradic is probably a better reel. But  the ,AR-C design is almost exactly the same as the Ultegra 5500 XTD with a line recovery of 39" per. So I have a 3000,4000 and 5500 size reels that are the same internally ,simple design easy maintence, they cast really well. For the kind of fish I am after they are plenty strong.

For me ,the stradic will be around if I want one down the road.

Thanks

my stella fi 4k has a longcast spool

Thanks

Daiwa BG 4000 or a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500 ... 20 lbs test braid over 250 yards. Just saying .. those are the reels I have on 8 to 9 foot Surf rods.

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

Daiwa BG 4000 or a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500 ... 20 lbs test braid over 250 yards. Just saying .. those are the reels I have on 8 to 9 foot Surf rods.

put on 14# fireline for better distance..

45 mins ago, KironaFly said:

Interesting ... I think I have some.

Sure 14# still rates at 28# test or more, if I remember correctly, (see aquaholik's post on braid testing) but is much thinner than the 20# Fireline thus increases distance.

I prefer Fireline due to it's stiffness which in my case at least, helps minimize wind knots.  Not too picky with braids as I have used Tufline XP, Sufix, Power Pro & Fins as well and really have found no difference among them. 

#14lb Fireline tests  at between 35 & 40lb ABS so is comparable to many other #20lb braids EXCEPT that it is stiffer.

Typically softer braids will cast better, but individually you may prefer the handling of stiffer Fireline