Pierce

Daiwa J-Briad Diameter

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

Seem Daiwa got different packaging for different poundage in their diameter. 

60lb - 0.28mm

65lb - 0.41mm (only 5lb extra)

80lb - 0.35mm (thinner than 65lb???????)

So how I select?

IMG-20190322-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20190322-WA0022.jpg

20190205_165829.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, Pierce said:

Hi,

Seem Daiwa got different packaging for different poundage in their diameter. 

60lb - 0.28mm

65lb - 0.41mm (only 5lb extra)

80lb - 0.35mm (thinner than 65lb???????)

So how I select?

IMG-20190322-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20190322-WA0022.jpg

20190205_165829.jpg

First.. your picture shows different packaging because you are showing 2 different braids.  Jbraid x8 is their original 8 strand braid while the top pic is jbraid Grand (also an 8 strand braid but its Daiwas newest addition..

Best place for you to start would be in the line testing thread by @aquaholikpinned at the top of the main forum.. 

Take whatever you read on the package with a grain of salt.. see the thread for more factual data..

Edit:  where did you see this? I wasn't aware Daiwa had released the JB grand in multi color yet..

Edited by Beachglass Guru

Even though two separate braids (old vs new), the diameter shouldn't be that big difference right?

Saw the Multicolor Grand in King Fisher Tackle's FB.

5 hours ago, mandaragat said:

Your 65 and 80 have the same diameter. They’re both PE6. No one can measure diameter right even by manufacturers. 

Yep. Here's the one sent to me for testing. The derived diameter is about 10 percent larger but the labeling are all over the place as far as strength and diameter.

5c965ee7ab13f_JbraidDiameter.jpg.323103193ea4eb6d27af98302cfebbc0.jpg

As a strong international brand, Daiwa should have standardize this "diameter" issue with the packaging.  Customers like me are really confusing.  We might purchase the wrong line class and there is no way of returning to the tackle shop for swap or refund.

Here is another one I found, 100lb only 0.42mm lol........

Jbraid multi.jpg

Edited by Pierce
Attach picture

8 hours ago, Pierce said:

Daiwa should have standardize this "diameter" issue with the packaging.  Customers like me are really confusing.  We might purchase the wrong line class and there is no way of returning to the tackle shop for swap or refund.

Here is another one I found, 100lb only 0.42mm lol........

They should, but they won't

Lines are even labeled differently for different markets.

US market wants 30lb braid that breaks higher than stated say around 50lb

European and my local market wants 30lb to break at 30lb, 50lb at 50lb

Not sure how it works in Brunei, but a safer bet is to buy using PE numbers (if indeed it is marked)

Attached is a fairly safe PE# to lb conversion table.

There are lines that fall outside this, specifically high end Japanese lines that use much more expensive Ultra Dyneema, Ultra 2 PE Fibre.

Screenshot 2019-03-24 at 09.17.47.png

Edited by ZAFisher

Thank for the conversion table.  I need the diameter accuracy as the reel only provided diameter as a guide how many meters will fit.  For example as below:

mm/m 0.44/300

No./m  7/300

0.40 (6) / 430(390) I guess is 0.40/420m & #6/390m.

IMG20190324154126.jpg

IMG20190324154106.jpg

IMG20190324154400.jpg

5 hours ago, Pierce said:

I purchased a braid 50lb (0.28mm), it can't even fit 300m into the spool (Mighty X) where it indicate 0.44/300.

That's the thing see

They lie about the dia

A line that has an actual BS of 50lb should be around 0.32mm, roughly

If its a 50lb line that breaks at 80lb plus, which seems likely in thsi scenrio, it will be thicker ie 0.45mm+ / PE7 or PE8 and would explain why you are only getting roughly 260m of line on it.

I am assuming you are targeting GT's on poppers and stick baits up there?

Any big geet that pulls that much line is lost.

You don't need km's of line, just enough of the strong stuff to stop them before they reef you

I realize you have purchased line and what's done is done, but consider a hollow braid for this application.

Something line Jerry Brown Hollow or Seaguar Threadlock.

My clients who fish in exotic locations for big Geets swear by this set up, and I take them seriously

When you get reefed, and you will targeting Geets, and then need to top up, you can do a blind splice with minimal loss of strength and just fill up the reel.

Edited by ZAFisher

As ZAFisher says, braids destined for different markets have different ratings. Over here in Europe braids are generally thinner for a given poundage as our braids are rated at absolute strenth I. E. Straight pull, no knot. But braid destined for the USA are usually marked with wet knot strength, typically 35-50% less for the same diameter. 

When I first started using braid I used stuff bought in the USA. When I started buying UK braid I was amazed how thin it was for the "same" strength. After time, I realised it wasn't the same strength at all. 

Check PowerPro on UK websites compared to USA websites, very different ratings for the same diameter. 

7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

As ZAFisher says, braids destined for different markets have different ratings. Over here in Europe braids are generally thinner for a given poundage as our braids are rated at absolute strenth I. E. Straight pull, no knot. But braid destined for the USA are usually marked with wet knot strength, typically 35-50% less for the same diameter. 

When I first started using braid I used stuff bought in the USA. When I started buying UK braid I was amazed how thin it was for the "same" strength. After time, I realised it wasn't the same strength at all. 

Check PowerPro on UK websites compared to USA websites, very different ratings for the same diameter. 

that actually makes a lot of sense 

Yeap, it sure make a lot of sense as braid are for different market.  But how I know my reels indication of line are from USA, UK, Europe or even Asia market?  They never mention that when we purchase the reel lol........

So far, I got reels from Australia(Pflueger Salt 80), Korea(Banax Mighty 5000X) & Taiwan(Ecooda Hornet 20000).