Talltale

Auto body rust proof coating

11 posts in this topic

I’m patching holes in the floor of my landscape truck.   It’s a cab over which means the cab can be tilted forward, exposing the underside panels. 

Can anyone recommend a brush-on type undercoating? 

I want this work to last a long time.

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, george6308 said:

Try Ospho Rust Treatment  Used on steel commercial fishing boats.

Thanks for your response. 

I’ve been using an acid product that does the same thing as Ospho.  It's called Exrust.  It does a nice job of turning the rusted metal into solid black metal.  It works best if the part can be soaked in it.  But, on cars, and probably ships, the surface needs to be wire wheeled before brushing it on.

Now what is needed is a brushed-on coating to keep the elements away from the clean metal.  I was thinking along the lines of a bed liner type product.

4 hours ago, emptyhook said:

Por 15 stuff is amazing 

This has good reviews on amazon, as well.  The most interesting comments their, which are really back handed compliments, are the complaints about how the product's can cannot be reopened once its closed after use.  This illustrates how tightly it bonds to metal.  It probably goes right on the bare metal without need for priming.  

Definitely worth considering.  Thanks.

I bought a product called chassis saver a couple weeks ago. Waiting until it gets warmer to use it though. Its the same company who makes monstaliner. 

1 hour ago, Talltale said:

This has good reviews on amazon, as well.  The most interesting comments their, which are really back handed compliments, are the complaints about how the product's can cannot be reopened once its closed after use.  This illustrates how tightly it bonds to metal.  It probably goes right on the bare metal without need for priming.  

Definitely worth considering.  Thanks.

I used plastic food wrap between the lid to help reopening. Only prep you would need depends on the job. Coating the frame would only need loose material clean up. It made for coating rust and bare metal.

Waxoyl, bar and chain oil, fluid film, something of that ilk, on rusty steel anything short of a full sandblast and epoxy primer then 2 part auto paint topcoat is a waste of time, esp any hard undercoat, ziebart or por 15 it does more harm than good,  a waxy or oil based product applied yearly and everywhere on the undercarriage is the best long lasting solution

On 3/25/2019 at 9:35 PM, Two Rock said:

Waxoyl, bar and chain oil, fluid film, something of that ilk, on rusty steel anything short of a full sandblast and epoxy primer then 2 part auto paint topcoat is a waste of time, esp any hard undercoat, ziebart or por 15 it does more harm than good,  a waxy or oil based product applied yearly and everywhere on the undercarriage is the best long lasting solution

Don't you think the wire wheel does a good enough job?

I like the idea of wax.  However,  won't the oil attract dirt and sand?

No not if you are going to paint it sandblasting and then a quality epoxy primer sealer/2k auto paint is the best way if you are going the paint route, if not the rust will bubble thru and the paint will actually hold water making it worse, a wire wheel is a good prep for waxoly, fluid film, or bar and chain oil, or a home made concoction which you can find many videos on at the website you can guess, and for around 100 bucks you can get an a spray gun with all the attachments, hoses, nozzles, and body plugs allowing you to spray inside rocker panels, doors, frames ect.  Everything has to be dry before application, the oil/wax mixture acts as a moisture barrier, it attracts a little dust and dirt but the moisture barrier remains.  The video channel has many vids showing the undersides of vehicles after time on the road after the application, judge for yourself.