Seasons Here Time to Start the Graveyard Shift

Rate this topic

The Graveyard Shift

Well, the first day of spring is when I curtail a lot of my indoor fly fishing related activities (except fly tying which will continue through April) because its time to get on the water.  My local small streams are iced out and have enough water its time to chase wild trout in tiny streams or get out and practice casting (aka chase holdover stripers which I have yet to catch one hence casting practice).  I fish for my holdovers the same time I fish for my regular season stripers on the graveyard shift 2-6am.  I won't be on SOL much because my limited time will be spent fishing.  Only posts forthcoming is I owe @RedGreen a picture of my lobster fly I still need to tie up and @bonefishdick a picture of my large green crab fly.  Tight lines to everyone this season and if you need to get in touch use the DM feature I will respond there.  

Dan

TGS

No rush on the crab, I hope you have some luck on chasing the trout.

I will say this much, just because the fishing season is here now for the die hards and  some I know have been out and already caught fish and for others, the season is right around the corner.

I will say this, just because the season will be be starting I hope you will conitinue to post, you offer lots of good stuff

The one thing I enjoyed at the end of the day is everyday I went fishing was to do a report on the days activities. If I fished five days in a row, I would do five reports, I am sure some people felt that was excessive but I also got lots of positive feedback on them as well. I never found it required a lot of effort to do a report at the end of the day, for me I found it to be a great way to relax.

I know while things have changed for me and my time on the water will be different and when I do get out the one thing I can guarantee is at the end of the day is there will be a fish report and now I think they will be even more meaningful to me. 

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

2 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

TGS

No rush on the crab, I hope you have some luck on chasing the trout.

I will say this much, just because the fishing season is here now for the die hards and  some I know have been out and already caught fish and for others, the season is right around the corner.

I will say this, just because the season will be be starting I hope you will conitinue to post, you offer lots of good stuff

The one thing I enjoyed at the end of the day is everyday I went fishing was to do a report on the days activities. If I fished five days in a row, I would do five reports, I am sure some people felt that was excessive but I also got lots of positive feedback on them as well. I never found it required a lot of effort to do a report at the end of the day, for me I found it to be a great way to relax.

I know while things have changed for me and my time on the water will be different and when I do get out the one thing I can guarantee is at the end of the day is there will be a fish report and now I think they will be even more meaningful to me. 

Reports will be monthly at best.  I put all my nonfishing free time into keeping a very detailed fishing log book.  If I manage to hit my goal of one 40 inch fish per month starting in May I will try to get at least a quick picture up with fly pattern and presentation technique.  I am heading into this season with two patterns windows per month that have produced 40-inch bass May through October in 2017 and 2018.  With population continuing to get hammered my expectations are tempered substantially as less big fish will be available than last year.  For me, I have to have goals driving my fishing efforts or I am not as productive.  If I don't hit this one I will not be surprised, but if somehow I do I will be ecstatic.

I need at least three or four crab flies prior to the third week of June so will have to tie them up or end up in a situation where I don't have what I need for fishing.  Need the lobster fly in time for July and August.  

2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Reports will be monthly at best.  I put all my nonfishing free time into keeping a very detailed fishing log book.  If I manage to hit my goal of one 40 inch fish per month starting in May I will try to get at least a quick picture up with fly pattern and presentation technique.  I am heading into this season with two patterns windows per month that have produced 40-inch bass May through October in 2017 and 2018.  With population continuing to get hammered my expectations are tempered substantially as less big fish will be available than last year.  For me, I have to have goals driving my fishing efforts or I am not as productive.  If I don't hit this one I will not be surprised, but if somehow I do I will be ecstatic.

I need at least three or four crab flies prior to the third week of June so will have to tie them up or end up in a situation where I don't have what I need for fishing.  Need the lobster fly in time for July and August.  

Dan,

What's the status of the club you started and are you meeting during the summer months (many do and have outings)?  Have you established an e-mail list system is so I'll PM mine along for updates as would like to make it to a meeting or two at some point.    Anyway, best of luck on your goals.    Nice to have a sense of accomplishment while crossing items off a goal oriented To-Do list.

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

54 mins ago, HillTop said:

Dan,

What's the status of the club you started and are you meeting during the summer months (many do and have outings)?  Have you established an e-mail list system is so I'll PM mine along for updates as would like to make it to a meeting or two at some point.    Anyway, best of luck on your goals.    Nice to have a sense of accomplishment while crossing items off a goal oriented To-Do list.

HT

HT

We have had two meetings with around 26-30 attendees.  There is a dedicated email distribution list thag pushes out updates and there will be one meeting per month all year long.

The meeting dates are locked in through July.  We will lock in second half of year dates in May.

I am currently planing the club fishing outings.  First trip will be in June with a goal of 2 trips in June, 1 in July, 1 in August, 2 in September, 1 in October

Shoot me your email in PM and I will get you added to club distro.

@bonefishdick First report of 2019.  Got a personal best small stream trout yesterday.  A brown I presume is wild in a tiny creek near my house.  Creek has not been stocked with browns to my knowledege only brook trout.  its mainly brook trout but I have caught browns before.  Fish are primarily wild the ones that are stocked right next to road get hammered by bait guys.  I bushwhack a half to one mile back into creek to fish think I am probably only crazy guy that does it.

esitmated fish at 13-14" long and it was immaculate n condition.  Hit a size 10 muddler minnow on the swing through a deep pocket with three large submerged rocks in it.  Picture of fish from yesterday and two pictures that are representative of the size of the creek.

2F44751E-80B2-45F1-A1D6-BDBAE4ED9775.jpeg

A53A00EB-9AB7-4724-BF6D-EE1B8328DB4A.jpeg

63B56B2A-FBB0-46A3-ABD3-EBCA4B3BC568.jpeg