vce12342000

Liquid smoke

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I know this is a cardinal sin what Im about to ask. But has anyone here used liquid smoke to add flavor into meats ? I live in a community with certain rules from the association. No open flame grill or devices allowed on the patio deck. So a real smoker or even a 1/2 azz smoker is out of the question. I never used such liquids before in cooking. Wanna put some smoke flavor into this. Any contributing suggestion would be appreciated. Thx  

20190103_201358.jpg

Yes use a little of it in a brine, then if you use let’s say a mustard before a rub you can also put it in the mustard to add more smoke flavor.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:46 PM, vce12342000 said:

I know this is a cardinal sin what Im about to ask. But has anyone here used liquid smoke to add flavor into meats ?

The Liquid Smoke brand is gross, avoid at all costs

Wright's Hickory Liquid Smoke is pretty good (applewood flavor is meh, never had the mesquite)

Wrights_Hickory_Liquid_Smoke-400x400.jpg

In the depths of winter when we have a BBQ craving I'll soak a brisket down (punch lots of holes so it gets deep into the meat) and cook it low and slow in the oven, finish with BBQ sauce under the broiler.

It's not quite lump charcoal and chips quality but it's close enough

It's a better than nothing solution, especially when your options are nothing. Use sparingly the first time. Put in a brine was a good suggestion. Using too much will make your meat inedible. Try on a meatloaf or burger before you try on a brisket or pork butt. just add a table spoon to a cup of water and baste the burger or meatloaf with the mix. No matter what I've always though it tasted artificial, but it just might be in my head since I know its not real. 

I believe most if not all of those chain bbq places use liquid smoke.  The stuff makes me feel ill after eating so i usually avoid things like ribs when i go to those places.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:19 AM, Fly By Nite said:

I believe most if not all of those chain bbq places use liquid smoke.  The stuff makes me feel ill after eating so i usually avoid things like ribs when i go to those places.

I think, Fly by Nite's comments, might explain why, when I use, just a little bit of liquid smoke in my oven cooked baby backs, we have heartburn afterwards. If I use a lot less, like just a shake, things improve. Nice taste but potent. Thanks, Fly By Nite, for your hint.