Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chomper

Whats the Best Heaver Rod?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Not sure what you mean by "1 pound"...I guess/assume you are talking casting weight...that is a very heavy payload!

The Heavers that I own/use that can handle a payload approaching 16 oz are the Breakaway 2 pc/1 pc (1509 All Star blank), St. Croix's factory PSRC120XH2, Lamiglas GSB 136 1MH and the Purglass 400-5...

The best? Depends on several factors and of course personal preference...in fact it would be difficult to say what is the best because of what I value in a Heaver rod might very well be different for you at the casting weight you are talking...

Just talking Heavers for regular duty of 8nBait...well, personally, the first Heaver that comes to mind, and I own plenty, is a custom rod built on the Lamiglas 1502 blank... This blank/rod does it all...fairly powerful for both casting and fishing handling; no problem throwing 8nBait and can throw 10nBait; lightweight at 21.5 oz for a finished 12'-6" rod; and not hard to load...really like this rod and I have several built on that blank... Down side is that you can only custom-build this Heaver because Lamiglas does not offer a finished rod, just the blank... If you have a pro rod builder make you one, you are looking at $350 minimum...and if you really want it customized w/ top shelf guides, fancy wraps, etc, you will spend $400+...

On the inexpensive side, the factory 12' Ocean Master (rated 6 to 12 oz) is w/o question the best "true" Heaver for the dollars...very well made w/ Fuji guides...cost about $120... What I mean by "true" is a rod that will sling 8nBait alla a powerful cast like a "Hatteras" cast... The Lamiglas 1502 falls into this "true Heaver" category too... In fact the OM Heaver is very stout and I have power cast 12nBait w/ it... Down side on the OM is, it's a bit heavy at about 28 oz and hard to load...

Then there are what I call light duty Heavers on the market, like the 12' Tica or Tsunami...both inexpensive and good rods for about $100... These rods load real easy comparatively speaking and are not heavy...however, 8nBait is tops for them if you are a strong caster...also they are a little light on the backbone for a Heaver, especially for big, powerful critters like giant Red Drum, Sharks, Rays, Cobia, etc...but they will get the job done if you know what you are doing...

There are other choices and I am sure others will add their thoughts...

Poppy

Thanks for the insight Poppy. I was talking about slinging 8n some large chunks/whole small baitfish, etc. with a large spinning reel.

I tied into a pretty heavy Butterfly ray last weekend and several times it locked my 15' Daiwa eliminator with some powerful runs. In the suds the ray made a real strong run, my drag was tight and SNAP. mad.gif It was rated for up to 6 oz. but I had no problems slinging 8n bait for blues/stripers etc in the rough spring surf. I probably could have cast even heavier but didnt want to snap it. Well, now it is snapped and I am looking for a better replacement, maybe not the "best" but something of high quality.

Ever have any hands-on with any Breakaway heavers?

Thanks again

After reading your report and learning that you are using spinning gear, here is my opinion...

If the cost is no object, get the Breakaway 2pc/1pc Model 1509 (not 1508) custom.

If on a budget, get the 12 ft Ocean Master.

Both of these are known to be good matches on the Outer Banks with heavy spinning gear and 8-10 ounce sinkers plus a large bait.

Although both the Lamiglas GSB 1502 and the GSB 1361 fall into the general Heaver category, they are very different blanks...

The 1361 is 11'-6" while the 1502 is 12'-6"...but both blanks weight nearly the same. Further, the 1361 has a 20 (64ths) tip, while the 1502 has a 14 tip... A 20 tip is HUGE...almost 1/3rd of an inch... And the 1361 has a slightly larger diameter butt compared to the 1502. Bottom line, the 1361 is a stout rod...stiffer than the 1502...and accordingly harder to load during a cast. The 1361 could easily deliver well in excess of the standard 8nBait for a Heaver, while the 1502 is tapped out at 10nBait if you are a strong (power type) caster... I have cast 12nBait w/ my 1502, but it (and I) struggled some...

But I would say the 1361 handles bigger fish better...but at these size blanks/rods, I am talking real big critters like big sharks, rays, etc... For Stripers, even 50# plus fish in current, both sticks are more than capable...

The 1502 has what I would say is a medium fast action...more flex in the upper part of the blank/rod under load...whereas, the 1361 seems to have more of a medium action, but the stick is too stiff to actually realize this slower action unless you have a very large, powerful and heavy fish on...

The 1361 I had made (and now sold) was trimmed back a little...I don't know what I was thinking...anyway, in summation, it was a very stiff telephone pole...just too hard to really load completely and total overkill for all but the largest of surf dwelling critters...

For general surf fishing w/a Heaver setup, Lamiglas 1502 is about the finest blank IMHO available right now-powerful, yet lightweight! I would consider it a medium duty Heaver as opposed to some of the brute Heavers out there, like Breakaway's stick built on the All Star 1509 blank... Simply the 1502 is a pleasure to fish with...

Hope this helps...

Poppy

[ 07-29-2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Rumble Fish aka Poppy ]

I had my eye on the Outcast 1625. In fact, I went to my rod builder's house and picked out the wraps. Nice rod. Very light and can throw 10oz with a few inches taken off the tip.

Then I started learning about the new carbon fiber Inferno. I called my builder back and asked him to hold off on the Outcast.

I just need to come up with the extra $70 or so before I can get the Inferno built.

Rumblefish: Ya got me curious here. I have a GSB1221MH heaver that I have some difficulty using because I'm just not very big weightwise. That 1502 you mention sounds interesting, as you describe it as being somewhat easy to load with 8nbait.

Without having to be to specific, how big a guy are you, and do you think that 1502 would be suitable for the under 5'10" and 150lb. crowd that I fall into?

Anyone else's responses welcomed too! smile.gif

for a true 12'+ heaver, the 1502 will work as well as anything for you i'd think.. very light as described and not a beast to load.. i bought one when my back got screwed up.. it puts much less pressure on back and shoulders than some of the other heavers...

by the way, it's not about height and weight.. it's about power generated... I know some really big guys that can't load a rod as well as some little tiny guys... wink.gif

Great info here fellas. icon14.gif I am really learning alot. So Sudsy. You really like those Okumas? I like the 60$ price. Funny you mention the tip guide comin out on you. I picked up an Okuma Longitude this spring and I did the same thing with a swivel and the tip rolleyes.gif . 11', 3-8 oz rating and I like it pretty well. Didnt know they made the Celilo. I have a hard time spending a few hundred on a rod, but would dish it out if the quality couldnt be matched elsewhere.

Great info here fellas. icon14.gif I am really learning alot. So Sudsy. You really like those Okumas? I like the 60$ price. Funny you mention the tip guide comin out on you. I picked up an Okuma Longitude this spring and I did the same thing with a swivel and the tip rolleyes.gif . 11', 3-8 oz rating and I like it pretty well. Didnt know they made the Celilo. I have a hard time spending a few hundred on a rod, but would dish it out if the quality couldnt be matched elsewhere.

Yes I like it, but it's certainly not in the same class as the Purglas or my Harnell for that matter.

Like I said, the guides could be better but the rod is certainly capable of doing what you want to do. Also, you won't find the Celilo in any stores (that I know of) on the east coast. I thing Okumas marketing dept. did the company a diservice by limiting the copy to sturgeon fishing when it's really a very capable all around heaver.

If you're going to really get into this sport there's one lesson you're going to learn - buy the best and you'll never be disatisfied. It'll save you money in the long run anyway because sooner or later, after spending the money on lesser gear, you're going to buy the good stuff anyway.