JacquiJ

Help needed to make mother of junior fisherman's dream come true.

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi everyone, this is my very first post and I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help me.

I live in Dublin (Ireland) and my friends and I are desperately trying to make a final wish of a dear terminally ill friend come true. She is a wonderfully kind and loyal person who has given most of her life to working voluntarily with children and youth. She is a single parent of one son and sadly, following over a decade of remission from cancer, it has now returned with a vengence and is incurable.

While talking to her recently, she revealed that the final thing she wanted to do was go to the States to show her son (he's 16) New York and to take him fishing in Boston. He is a junior fisherman and has represented his country in fishing competitions. I cannot go into specifics but suffice to say, three friends and I are working desperately to raise the money to get her to America. It is proving a little more difficult than we thought but we are hopeful that we will be able to cover the flights at least. None of us know anything about fishing and wouldn't have a clue about where to start.

We were hoping that your wonderful fishing community in Boston might be in a position to help our friend realise her final dream for her son so that he can have some everlasting memories of his precious time with his mom.

I apologise sincerely in advance if this is an inappropriate request to post on your forum, but I truly do not know where else to start. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, we would ask that this is not shared on Facebook or other social media as members of our friend's family are still unaware of the true nature of her illness.

Thank you so much for your time and for reading.

Jacqui

Edited by JacquiJ
mispelling

Greetings and welcome. I’m sorry to hear about your friend and hope someone here can help you out and point you in the right direction with information. I’m not certain if you are seeking information alone or are also seeking to raise money here. Hopefully someone can help you with the former but we do not allow the later.

TimS

JacquiJ

although I don’t live in Boston. I do live at cape cod which is the epicenter of striper fishing and do quite a bit of surf fishing for stripers,blues and sharks or if he wants We can go out in one of my friends charter boats for any species he wants to. I would gladly help out to make a young fisherman’s dreams come true. I have a network of gracious friends down here that would love to be a part of this also.  Boston is only a 50 minute drive from my house 

When are you planning a trip to the states ???

sincerly, 

Shawn Michael Coffey

P.S. I have a little Irish in me also. 

Thank you very much for your responses, I really appreciate them. Captain, I can assure you it's not a scam - it's genuinely a small group of friends trying to do the best they can for their seriously ill friend. I'm not sure how to convince you but I understand your concern. I would be happy to provide some personal info in private if anyone feels it necessary.

Dthfrmabove, you're very kind. I believe she might be able to travel in May or June, we are trying to establish when will be good for her because she is currently undergoing treatment. I can let you know as soon as we find out. Your kind offer is greatly appreciated and I think there's a bit of Irish in everyone! ;-)

I'm really not sure why my posts are taking so long to be approved - do I need to do something else, Admin/Moderator? I don't want people to think I'm being rude in not replying :-)

51 mins ago, JacquiJ said:

I'm really not sure why my posts are taking so long to be approved - do I need to do something else, Admin/Moderator? I don't want people to think I'm being rude in not replying :-)

My apologies, there are lot of moderators and admins here, but most of them will skip over posts in a thread like this and let me handle it. Not because you have done anything wrong but because threads like this have the potential to be scams. And, no, I don't think this is a scam or I wouldn't have allowed the first post to be published :)  As I said in my first response, I sincerely hope someone can help you out - and it appears @Dthfrmabove has made a very generous offer to help you out :th:  I hope it all works out :)

TimS

I gave you access to private messages so you can communicate with whomever has offered to help you out. Please update this thread along the way so folks here can follow along, I know a lot of folks would love to see this come to fruition for your friend and her son :)

TimS

Jacqui,

whenever she can travel is fine with me. If stripers are on the agenda the majority of the bigger ones really don’t reach where I live until end of May or June. If you would like to see him tangle with some sharks July would be a better option. These can all be caught from shore and I have a great network of friends that I go with on a regular basis. We all tag these sharks for the NOAA and have a good success rate per trip. Unfortunately these are usually caught at night and I know it will be tough for her to stay up sometimes. I have plenty of fishing gear that anyone might need so don’t worry about needing anything. 

I have also talked to one of my friends and they are available to take us out on a boat for either offshore fishing or inshore for a day trip. Whatever suits your needs. 

On another note. We might be in the process of moving at the middle to end of June. . Still within town but to a different house. Please note that it will not directly affect any type of trips that we hopefully can go on. If we don’t end up moving we do have a guest house on the property that everyone is more than welcome to stay in. This hopefully can cut down on the cost of the trip !!!!  

Jacqui.

We can keep talking on the message board as I know TimS would like to see how this goes. Please PM me with any particular private details or questions. I will check back often to see how this develops. 

I am actually overcome by the kindness of people, thank you again, Tim and Shawn. It really does restore one's faith in humanity :-)

I will be delighted to private message you, Shawn.

Jacqui,

Unsurprised by the offers from members on this site, 99% of SOL are good people. I'll throw my hat in the ring. I split my time between NYC and Eastern Long Island where I fish.  Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.