GOM Haddock Opener!

Rate this topic

jason colby

2 hours ago, Kml said:

That is really cool JD. 

JD is a cool guy, “slightly” neurotic, but cool.  Been a while since we fished together.  Looking forward to hearing about Wednesday and Thursday- catchem up JD!

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

Have fun fishing with Tim. I had some great times fishing with him but the last time I was on the boat was one if not the final trip in 2017. It was packed, cold and wet and I spent the first 20 minutes tangled up and the rest sleeping down below. I told Tim at the end of the trip that was it I am getting my own boat and I 5 months later I did. 

I highly recommend the Yellowbird marathon trips if you want Haddock.  I did 3 last year. No crowding and easy limits :) 

On 4/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, MakoMike said:

Say hello to Tim for me! I won't see him until the next RAP meeting.

I said hello for you.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, PeterO said:

JD is a cool guy, “slightly” neurotic, but cool.  Been a while since we fished together.  Looking forward to hearing about Wednesday and Thursday- catchem up JD!

Thanks Peter,

It's been too long since we fished together.

The great thing about fishing is, I'm generally in good company w/ my neurosis :  )

On 4/24/2019 at 1:28 PM, blacklabnh said:

Have fun fishing with Tim. I had some great times fishing with him but the last time I was on the boat was one if not the final trip in 2017. It was packed, cold and wet and I spent the first 20 minutes tangled up and the rest sleeping down below. I told Tim at the end of the trip that was it I am getting my own boat and I 5 months later I did. 

I highly recommend the Yellowbird marathon trips if you want Haddock.  I did 3 last year. No crowding and easy limits :) 

We had two fun days on the Bunny Clark. Yes it's a realatively small vessle, yes he tries to pack them in, especially on regular days, and yes he somtimes sails in weather that would make some sea-sick (including me).

That being said, its a very sea worthy vessle & Tim is a great captain & fisher. I can't imagine there are many who know that fishery better than Tim Tower. I also appreciate the work he puts in writing letters and attending meetings to advocate for an appropriate balanace between conservation and maintaing a sustainabe and reasonable catch limits.

Our party of four each had limits of haddock on both days, mostly small keepers w/ a few really nice ones mixed on. We also had some jumbo bergal, a few nice reds, tossed back some nice cod & a bunch of sculpin and cusk. Others caught micro pollack and a few wolf fish. We also had a close encounter w/a monster porbegal. The bite was more on bait than jigs though both worked. We were really blessed w/ two good weather & catching days.

We had a blast w/ Ian and Tim, great convos, fun stone busting, interesting discussions about politics, generally expereinced fishers and a few interesting characters. We also enjoyed some good meals and drinks while we were there. It's a road trip we have looked forward to and enjoyed each spring for many years.

We'll be back again next year.

For now, I have some chowdah to make :  )

Tight lines everyone!

JD

Nice report JD.  Sounds like you had a great time.  I saw that Jack got a mention, was hoping for a big fish for you.  Maybe next year :)

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

1 hour ago, PeterO said:

Nice report JD.  Sounds like you had a great time.  I saw that Jack got a mention, was hoping for a big fish for you.  Maybe next year :)

Thanks Peter,

Jack is such a character.

Our other bud got a ME trophy redfish. He was pumped as he’s the newbie of the group.

JD

2 hours ago, jason colby said:

Been getting the haddock now and not too far from Boston. My prior successful trips had to be east of the bank, 40+ miles from the dock. Now we are getting them west of the bank less than an hour out...

Today was "double-header city" with the fishing fast and furious! 

042919armindo.JPG

042919mike.JPG

042919thanh.JPG

042519jeff.JPG

any size to them? We got all barely legals..