GOM Haddock Opener!

Rate this topic

jason colby

It seems that the haddock season will open as scheduled on April 15th. Shallow water for them early on and I plan on parking over them for a couple of weeks until the flounder start to feed. How many here like that sort of thing? I'm not too crazy about haddock except fried with onion rings. A lot of my customers are crazy about the critters though and I bought some much lighter tackle for this spring and that, with the shallow water should make it "more funner"

JC

3 hours ago, ccb said:

Fisrt it was no Haddock and now it’s no Cod  changing times ?

Both the haddock and the winter flounder populations rebounded in The GOM while the dragger fleet was very busy destroying the cod population. The haddock had come back "very strong" while the flounder were  "showing good signs", that was 6 years ago. At that point they (the "fishery mis-managers") realized that cod cuts were very necessary so they cranked up the haddock and flounder quotas to "give the poor draggers something to work on" (that is an exact quote I got from a "manager" I was bitching to). The haddock have been able to withstand the increased pressure while the flounder populations have been suffering. I don't know what they were thinking, quadrupling the TAC on a species that has one viable inshore population left in the world and then not acknowledging there is a severe negative outcome while it is happening right before their eyes!

I have watched the flounder fishing "drop off" by over 75% in the past 5 years. I showed people "right at the top" of the management chain (John Quinn and his boss, Mike Pentony) absolute proof of what is happening and one ignored me and the other wrote back that there is no problem at all, every one is making plenty of money!

21 hours ago, jason colby said:

It seems that the haddock season will open as scheduled on April 15th. Shallow water for them early on and I plan on parking over them for a couple of weeks until the flounder start to feed. How many here like that sort of thing? I'm not too crazy about haddock except fried with onion rings. A lot of my customers are crazy about the critters though and I bought some much lighter tackle for this spring and that, with the shallow water should make it "more funner"

JC

Hey JC and frineds,

I'm looking forward to the GOM Haddock opener. While i do like them fried w/ onion rings, also like them broiled w/ ritz crackers and shrimp. They also make a nice chowder. Got two trips scheduled for the week after Easter. I'm hoping that this year we find the bigger pollack chasing herring too. They add some jigging fun to a boat limit of spring haddock, i.e. "more funner" :  )

JD

13 hours ago, Snaps said:

I was at a club meeting last week the president who sits in the board SSFF 

Basically said they are so effed up and their logic is pretzel logic.

He was lost for words to describe the mess, of the fisheries management.

What's "SSFF"?

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

On 3/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, Snaps said:

I was at a club meeting last week the president who sits in the board SSFF 

Basically said they are so effed up and their logic is pretzel logic.

He was lost for words to describe the mess, of the fisheries management.

Has he read the latest stock assessment?

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

From NOAA/NMFS:

Reminder for Recreational Fishermen

Recreational fishing measures from fishing year 2018 for the Gulf of Maine cod and haddock fishery remain in place until we develop and implement any changes in fishing year 2019.

The recreational Gulf of Maine haddock fishery reopens April 15, 2019:

• Bag Limit: 12 fish
  • Minimum size: 17 inches

Gulf of Maine cod possession is prohibited.

The New England Fishery Management Council has recommended fishing year 2019 (May 1, 2019-April 30, 2020) recreational groundfish measures. We are currently developing the proposed rule. We do not expect to publish a final rule implementing any changes by May 1, 2019. Therefore, the 2018 regulations will remain in effect until they are replaced.

For more, read the permit holder letter posted on our website.

Questions?

Fishermen: Contact Emily Keiley, Regional Office, 978-281-9116

Media: Contact Jennifer Goebel, Regional Office, 978-281-9175

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Thanks,

Too bad they couldn't have gotten the updated regs in place for the 2019 opener,

but no real big deal. 12 haddock isn't bad. If we can find a couple nice pollack (long shot I know), and perhaps round it off w/ a few reds, that'll be a nice day's catch.

Looking forwrd to it!

JD

5 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks,

Too bad they couldn't have gotten the updated regs in place for the 2019 opener,

but no real big deal. 12 haddock isn't bad. If we can find a couple nice pollack (long shot I know), and perhaps round it off w/ a few reds, that'll be a nice day's catch.

Looking forwrd to it!

JD

As far as pollack go its usually feast or famine. If you find a school you can load up, otherwise you won't catch a one.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

18 hours ago, MakoMike said:

As far as pollack go its usually feast or famine. If you find a school you can load up, otherwise you won't catch a one.

Yes,

Tim said it has to do with how cold the winter is. Earlier before it got cold, he was thinking of the temp didn't get to low, they might be in on herring. Now, it got cold, it may be a bit latter,

Who knows, onlt time on the water will tell. I do know that Eastmen's say they found a good deal of fish, haddock stacked up and red fish.

JD

• 2 weeks later...