The Fishing Nerd

Kayaking near Orient Point

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I was looking over some of the video of my fishing this past summer to help get past the winter blues, and I came across an instance where I was fishing out in Plum Gut and had to change course in my boat because there was a kayak ahead of me.

I had to do a double take, because the weather wasn't all that great, we were well into the flood tide and the current was cranking.  On days like that, I feel like even my 24' boat isn't really big enough to take too many risks out there, so when I saw this guy I had to take a really good look to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

I tend to fish the area at night, but I don't recall having seen others guys out there in kayaks (and my older radar doesn't catch them).  I know we've got plenty of kayak guys here; am I wrong or was that not a seriously insane thing for that guy to be doing?  I figured he might just be a nut, but a couple of quick YouTube searches reveals there are others.  Am I overrating how tricky those waters are from a kayak?

Been paddling one type of craft or other all over the island for over 30 years and I can think of no dumber place to be in a yak than the gut, especially when there is boat traffic and standing waves. Death wish. 

Want to hear a death wish.  Back in the 70's there was a group of guys with snorkels, fins and spearguns that would jump in at the beginning of the rip and then be picked up once through it.  They showed up for a couple of years in a 20ft whaler and launched at Orient by the Sea.   I was always amazed  I never read about any of them being killed or swept out to sea.   

At times I feel safer in a kayak than I did in my brothers 18ft tin boat, a kayak rolls right over tight chop where a bigger boat will really get rockin. That being said this guy is still insane, I would never take my kayak near rips like that.

10 hours ago, oldfielder said:

Been paddling one type of craft or other all over the island for over 30 years and I can think of no dumber place to be in a yak than the gut, especially when there is boat traffic and standing waves. Death wish. 

I'm not sure which is worse out there - the rip, or the wake from idiots flying through at 40 knots in speedboats racing out from Shelter Island.

That's what worries me about YouTube sometimes, it gives people ideas.  I've always been reluctant to fish from the shore out there, going out in a kayak just seems like a good way to commit suicide by floatation.

17 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

youngn' here.. ive heard the stories of people wading out to the coffee pot

I know a guy (very experienced) who was swept off the bar there and hours later landed at Rocky Point Rd in East Marion.  Always fish the incoming if your going to push the limits there. Better yet don't push the limits it's not worth it.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:32 PM, The Fishing Nerd said:

I was looking over some of the video of my fishing this past summer to help get past the winter blues, and I came across an instance where I was fishing out in Plum Gut and had to change course in my boat because there was a kayak ahead of me.

I had to do a double take, because the weather wasn't all that great, we were well into the flood tide and the current was cranking.  On days like that, I feel like even my 24' boat isn't really big enough to take too many risks out there, so when I saw this guy I had to take a really good look to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

I tend to fish the area at night, but I don't recall having seen others guys out there in kayaks (and my older radar doesn't catch them).  I know we've got plenty of kayak guys here; am I wrong or was that not a seriously insane thing for that guy to be doing?  I figured he might just be a nut, but a couple of quick YouTube searches reveals there are others.  Am I overrating how tricky those waters are from a kayak?

May be a touring kayak. Those guys go anywhere. Watched a couple doing practice rolls in choppy breakers off the beach. They were having a good time.

Also the gut has nothing on white water upland rivers where the extreme part of the sport excels. 

I went white water rafting a few times. Hell of a scary rush. The kayakers could surf the rips and use the eddies to go back and do it again. They made it look like a walk in the park.

Back on topic. I can't imagine any fishing kayaker going into the gut. To busy, to much current, to much work. You did mention you tube. Maybe he's one of "Them". You tube does seem to bring out the stupid in normally conformed people.

21 hours ago, YakDawg said:

I know a guy (very experienced) who was swept off the bar there and hours later landed at Rocky Point Rd in East Marion.  Always fish the incoming if your going to push the limits there. Better yet don't push the limits it's not worth it.

Talk to larry from northbar tackle. Ask his story.i go out but not that far.

5 hours ago, Rick67 said:

May be a touring kayak. Those guys go anywhere. Watched a couple doing practice rolls in choppy breakers off the beach. They were having a good time.

Also the gut has nothing on white water upland rivers where the extreme part of the sport excels. 

I went white water rafting a few times. Hell of a scary rush. The kayakers could surf the rips and use the eddies to go back and do it again. They made it look like a walk in the park.

Back on topic. I can't imagine any fishing kayaker going into the gut. To busy, to much current, to much work. You did mention you tube. Maybe he's one of "Them". You tube does seem to bring out the stupid in normally conformed people.

The guy we were trying to avoid was certainly fishing, he had a number of rods in his holders and I'm pretty sure he was trolling.  The boat traffic out there, especially at that time of the year, is insane.  Given that people are busy either plowing through at full speed or having one eye on their fishing gear and the other on the breakers, I don't think I'd be counting on anyone to see me in my kayak and avoid hitting me.

I know that would be on the boat, but I never bet my own safety on someone else's diligence.

As for the tricksters/experts - I've never been whitewater rafting or kayaking, I can imagine that's some pretty dangerous business, but doesn't that get limited somewhat by the fact that it's confined?

I've seen a guy out there a few times on a jet ski set up with rod holders, drifting right next to 40 foot boats.  Weirdly didn't seem that crazy.  I guess he can move pretty fast on that little thing.

It's about visibility as much as anything else.  Some of the boats that come through there are big and they go fast.  Chance of getting run over seems high.