Flybyme

Snook Light

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

In Laws house is on a canal off the Caloosahatchee River (North Ft Meyers / Lochmoor estates). I have caught snook and jumped a tarpon there, see a bunch of juvies free jumping and rolling. Is it worth it to put a snook light in. Will it attract many fish at night? Think the canal it is directly across from the Edison Estate.

Edited by Flybyme

I have rented all over that area. I purposely

search out properties that the docks have

lights. The amount of bait and life they

attract thru the night is unbelievable. 

Unfortunately, bugs like em too.

8 hours ago, ccb said:

Yep , the guy next door throws out a can of Tuna cat food under the light .

should hold, snook, tarpon and jacks? Did see a video where catfish took over the light in cape coral..

On Marco Island the Snook Inn has boat slips with underwater lights. At night the snook are all up under the lights waiting for bait to move in and out of the channel. 

Spit in the water and a zillion cats you couldn’t see swarm it. 

19 hours ago, Flybyme said:

In Laws house is on a canal off the Caloosahatchee River (North Ft Meyers / Lochmoor estates). I have caught snook and jumped a tarpon there, see a bunch of juvies free jumping and rolling. Is it worth it to put a snook light in. Will it attract many fish at night? Think the canal it is directly across from the Edison Estate.

if you want everyone & their brother hitting your dock go right ahead . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes, it is worth it to install a dock light if you'd like to catch snook and trout at night.  The light attracts the baitfish and the snook/trout line up to feed. Cast up into the incoming tide/current, let your lure drift till it tightens and then retrieve. We use "spec rigs" available at the local Ace hardware/Walmart. White is a good color. Sometimes, if the fish are there, and you'll see them from the dock if they are, it could be a hookup on every cast. Private boats/charter boats will see your lights and hover to fish very close to your dock. A PITA but something you'll have to deal with or just let it go and share your space but those boat guys will win. Just so you know, though, the boat guys are not allowed to tie up to your dock to fish and you can inform them of that. 

Good luck if you do install your dock light. It's a good investment! And, when you leave your dock after you're done fishing, turn it off. The baitfish will leave and so will the boaters.Ha Ha!

Edited by flysully

2 hours ago, Flybyme said:

should hold, snook, tarpon and jacks? Did see a video where catfish took over the light in cape coral..

no I didn't  what the title?

Yes the cats will overtake it after awhile but only if you are throwing crap for them to eat... and yes other boats will draw towards your dock like flies... it all depends on what you 

can live with... and remember that all boaters have common sense, imagine you fishing it one nite and boaters come and throw all around you... if the snook are there during the day they are still there at nite.... and they don't need lights to see baitfish ....again it all depends on what you are willing to deal with.... IMO i would leave it alone, but thats me

Thanks for all the replies, when I started striped bass fishing I would hop from marina to marina fishing for them at night in the lights. In the last few years I have kinda stopped. Didn't think I would make friends and attract other anglers to my lights. Good to know. Still think it will be cool to have my own private backyard aquarium. Tight lines all.

I caught my first snook years ago fishing the dark/light border created from the Cape Coral bridge lights late night.  Yep, its worth it. Chumming helps!