Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDC

surfs up!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So.... Given the fact that the winds are howling and the surf is high, I thought I would pass the time with a couple of pertinent questions....

What is your favorite plug in high surf?

And do you do anything "special" in high surf vs. calmer waters?

What is your favorite plug in high surf?

depends where i'm at... most of the time it's heavier bucktails and jigs and bigger storm lures... topwater stays the same... bombers, darters etc.

And do you do anything "special" in high surf vs. calmer waters?

if you can call it special - on the rocks and jetty pay very good attention to the surf ... high surf can be dangerous...

bottle plugs work well, u need to through something that will dig into the wave. maybe even a darter will be lucky

i try to stay out of the way of any rogue waves

looky.gif

i love this new icon so im gonna wear it out a fast as i can!

big bottle plugs can hold in heavy surf, tho sometimes they dont... if you have a good feeling about fish being there, you can't go wrong with a bucktail... as heavy as you need to be able to throw it into the wind... Ive thrown 3-4 ounces in some winds... Also, heavy sinking big needles will work as well as long as they sink fast and get away from the surface commotion... another thing to try is a bank sinker at the end of your line 3 feet above a teaser... just a teaser delievery method.. the weight gets the teaser to the fish and the teaser, well, makes them bite... smile.gif

what exactly is your definition of "high surf"?? cause there were days when i was back there that some folks thought it wasn't good pencil popper water and i thought it was about as perfect as it could be.

10'-15' waves hitting the beach and a good 15-20 knots onshore. Light by left coast standards redface.gif But "big surf" by us in the east. I've ditched the chest waders for hip boots. Calf deep is about it for me with a good stiff breeze

Do you look for a steep beach and try to sink the set-up down to the "zone" of less motion? Or try to cast past the breakers (like I even could) on the surface? Structure seems much more important in a good on shore breeze I've found...as are the eddies which accompany them...particularly at the breakwaters. But when the "eddies" aren't producing, do you cast long or move to a steeper beach?

MDC on the westcoast we keep on shore with big swell. Now at your beaches if they are rolling in sets as in as one wave is hitting the beach a second is halfway in and a third is peaking. Sets can have numerous waves in them from one to ten depending on how rough it is here. A three to five set is very fishable an can be considered normal water for us out west. There are key area's to look for on the beach and the most important is places where waves don't develop, or the set dosen't rollover itself. Also spots of pocket water meaning places that aren't turned white by the rolling white water. When I visited the Cape the one day that felt like home was when what was left of the hurricane came through. To me the surf was perfect big swell with pocket water in spots. Fishing the pocket water with big poppers, heavy needles, metal tins or 2 oz jigs even pikies if the wind isn't tearing into your face. Wind is more a problem than wave size especially if you have it blowing in your face.

Or try to cast past the breakers (like I even could) on the surface?

Iffen youse guys would give up those little rods you use and get some real ones, that wouldn't be a problem either. tongue.gifmoon.gif

Sometimes we'll have good 12-15 foot surf, but it'll be in nice sets... lots of calm water between them. Good popper water.

We got rocks and stuff... and good deep troughs... and good rips and holes.... and that's what I tend to key in on here. Apparently so do the fish. Seem them right up in the wash on some really nasty days too... chasing all the goodies that the waves stir up along the shore.

If we get a good stiff onshore wind, I'm throwing BIG pencil poppers, heavy tins or big jigs that I can get some distance with.

Iffen it makes you feel any better.. I almost NEVER go in past my knees out here. I took a wave or two over my head back east that left me thinking... had I taken a wave like that here, I'd have been a goner.

The difference is the swell...

It's the chop, it's the confused nature of the waves that has me a bit off these days. Right down to the wind snagging the foam off of the tippy top of the highest waves.

There just isn't any "rhythm", and tonight, no eddies to work. Beyond the breakers didn't produce either...and so I movedto some of the nearby bays. But none of my bay spots were "on" this evening. So I got the big

skunk.gif

that's when ya throw the underwater stuff... big tins, jigs, that other dark side stuff....

or sleep in.

surf season is over here for me... the next five or six months is all about delta stripers and a certain river's steelhead. my non-fly rods have been broken down and put away... the reels cleaned. gloves are out, hats with ear warmers taken out, fleece pants and wool socks unpacked, silk undershirts back in the rotation, rain jackets located and cigars bought...

good luck with your surf season. i'm a sweetwater gal for the next half a year. HappyWave.gif

Well stripers are a bit harder to find in "winta" but not impossible.

Fish around the 10 fathom mark....Find the fuzz a fathom off the bottom, and there are stripers. And there is always the resident, though honestly I feel rather funny about catching locals....must be the dioxins!