fishfinder401

Saltwater spinner bait

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Has anyone ever used or seen a "saltwater" spinner bait? kind of like the freshwater bass ones, just bigger, heavier and built to hold up to the conditions, so like 2 or 3 oz heavy wire etc?

Edited by fishfinder401

Back when I was like ten I bought a Spinnerbait from Walmart the was labeled as a striper/saltwater lure. I tried it a few times and it just didn’t work our rode to high in the water column for where I was fishing. Had a squid style skirt. Didn’t attract anything in saltwater it did however catch some nice pickerel 

Just now, Rkfool said:

Back when I was like ten I bought a Spinnerbait from Walmart the was labeled as a striper/saltwater lure. I tried it a few times and it just didn’t work our rode to high in the water column for where I was fishing. Had a squid style skirt. Didn’t attract anything in saltwater it did however catch some nice pickerel 

any idea how heavy it was? thinking with like 2 or 3 oz and only one spinner blade it should stay pretty deep down. could be effective on fluke from shore

No idea the weight. If memory serves I’d guess it was around 1oz, much larger and heavier than my typical freshwater spinner bait and had a single Colorado blade? I’m a little rusty on my Spinnerbait terminology. Was also fishing primarily from the boat and imagine it’d have been easier to keep closer to the bottom from shore with the right speed of retrieve

40 mins ago, Rkfool said:

I have it with the squid skirt. It's about 3/4 ounce I will find it in a day or two and post a pic. I did try it once from the surf was a little hard to cast with the wind in my face . Would be great for the hudson river or a calm day.

Guessing you can try a heavy Muskie spinnerbait.  They make big safety-pin style baits that would be beefed up for saltwater use.  Can’t think of any by name right now, but I’m sure you can find some at Thorne bros online shop if nothing near you.

Al Gagg has a new jig head with a spinner on it. Just got one at CT Surfcasters demo day. I always thought there should be a SW type spinner bait because sweet water bass love them.  Would be a wind catcher tho. 

7 hours ago, jhillman17 said:

Guessing you can try a heavy Muskie spinnerbait.  They make big safety-pin style baits that would be beefed up for saltwater use.  Can’t think of any by name right now, but I’m sure you can find some at Thorne bros online shop if nothing near you.

Oh, I'll look at some of those, might work for what I'm thinking. 

53 mins ago, turkaholic said:

Al Gagg has a new jig head with a spinner on it. Just got one at CT Surfcasters demo day. I always thought there should be a SW type spinner bait because sweet water bass love them.  Would be a wind catcher tho. 

Mind if I see what it looks like?

7 hours ago, jhillman17 said:

Nice:)thanks for the tip

I have always thought a weight forward spinner ( erie dearie) would be the ticket. Of course you would have to replace the hook. I think Im going to try it it with the South bend version (walleye wonder)

Fishfinder:  SW spinner baits have been popular for many years in the southeast and the Gulf for redfish.  Strike King "Redfish Magic" is the most popular, or at least the most widely marketed.  There are other brands, some locally made.  Regular bass spinner baits will work, but SW versions are usually made with heavier wire or titanium wire as redfish will usually bend a standard spinner bait into a worthless mess.  ZMan makes a chatter bait that is also a very effective search bait for marsh redfish, especially in stained water or grass.  Do a Google search of "redfish spinnerbaits" and you'll find a number of different brands and articles. 

People fish for big LMB in Mexico with big spinnerbaits. Usually around 1.5 ounces. Google 1.5 ounce spinnerbaits and some should pop up. Also I think tackle warehouse has some.