Dealyrph

good surf rod 9-10 foot under $500. Looking

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Looking to invest in a great rod for New Jersey shore beach fishing with artificials.  Looking for a 3/4 to 3 oz lure .  Going to use a Van staal with it (either vsx or vr). Haven’t decided yet.  Want light and good action.  Was leaning toward a century slingshot 10’ .

Posted (edited) · Report post

there are many good choices, many good rods, if you want check out Black Hole, new 10ft. 3/4-4 Striped Bass Series, or 10ft. 3/4-4 East Coast Series, both strong ,VERY  light, sensitive, plus both retail around $340-370... did i mention, how STRONG, these rods are....:)...

Edited by lureman

3 hours ago, glos said:

thats enough for at least 10 good surf rods

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe fewer. I can buy 3-4 rods depending on size that will leave me wanting nothing as far as performance and durability for $500. In the end we all need to buy what makes us happy. 

10 hours ago, redfin said:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe fewer. I can buy 3-4 rods depending on size that will leave me wanting nothing as far as performance and durability for $500. In the end we all need to buy what makes us happy. 

10 good or 4 great rods..

On 3/20/2019 at 8:31 PM, Dealyrph said:

Looking to invest in a great rod for New Jersey shore beach fishing with artificials.  Looking for a 3/4 to 3 oz lure .  Going to use a Van staal with it (either vsx or vr). Haven’t decided yet.  Want light and good action.  Was leaning toward a century slingshot 10’ .

Century slingshot will give you very good distance with an aerodynamic lure.  However, I find that the 11ft Stealth of the same rating does a much better job fishing Pencils and minnow type lures, while still giving more than acceptable distance with aerodynamic lures.  I took the plunge early on in the Century Surf Rod introduction to the US, and ended up with the S-1 model, but have since been given the opportunity to cast the S-2, which I feel is an excellent compromise between the S-1 and the Slingshot, if you only want to carry one rod.  For what its worth, I use a VS150B on the slingshot (with low-rider guides) and a Shimano Ultegra 5500CI4+ XSB Long Cast on the S-1 Stealth (with K-guides).  Again, in the spirit of compromise, you might want to look at the Shimano Ultegra 5500 CI4+ XTC, which has, amongst other features, Core Protect.  This does not seal the reel for skishing, buy is likely good enough for fishing the Jersey Shore, especially since you are talking about a long cast system, that with a well executed Hatteras Cast, pretty much negates the need to stand more than mid-calf deep in water.

18 hours ago, lureman said:

there are many good choices, many good rods, if you want check out Black Hole, new 10ft. 3/4-4 Striped Bass Series, or 10ft. 3/4-4 East Coast Series, both strong ,VERY  light, sensitive, plus both retail around $340-370... did i mention, how STRONG, these rods are....:)...

9 ft striper series from Blackhole should also be mentioned. 

Thx for all the replies.  I do have the ultegra 5500 which I love.  I have that on a 10’6” TFO that I church with.   Want something a little more compact.  From what I have seen down here,  really no need for extremely long rods.  I decided on a 9’6 “ century 3/4-3.  If I want crazy distance,  I go out on the boat.  I have bought cheaper my whole life and end up buying more because I outgrow it or it doesn’t last.  I fish a lot and wanted to treat myself.  

If you look for 9'6" rod, check $195 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod. This light rod can do what other high end rods can do.

Here are pictures of catches with the light rod. Lure rating is 3/4 oz - 3 oz. You can cast 1/2 oz.

suziki96.jpg

suzuki96pargo.jpg

suzuki96striper.jpg

suzuki964.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

44 mins ago, ksong said:

If you look for 9'6" rod, check $195 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod. This light rod can do what other high end rods can do.

Here are pictures of catches with the light rod. Lure rating is 3/4 oz - 3 oz. You can cast 1/2 oz.

suziki96.jpg

suzuki96pargo.jpg

suzuki96striper.jpg

suzuki964.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

With all due respect, cause i know you like to market your product (or product that you rep/distribute whatever it is) and I’m sure the rods are good rods I don’t doubt that and have heard good things...but with that being said, I’m sure that the boat did the majority of the work on getting that sailfish in....not the rod and reel. 

Just finished a graphene SS 9’6” good for beach , also the S1 , they are a little more mod action.

really depends on the feel you like.

i put a few pics on the Delmarva thread..

Posted (edited) · Report post

To fight fish from the beach is easier than to fight on the boat with such a long rod.

See fighting tuna with lighter 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod. Boat didn't do anything.

Edited by ksong

15 mins ago, Frank5 said:

With all due respect, cause i know you like to market your product (or product that you rep/distribute whatever it is) and I’m sure the rods are good rods I don’t doubt that and have heard good things...but with that being said, I’m sure that the boat did the majority of the work on getting that sailfish in....not the rod and reel. 

maybe, we should have put up pixs., of the 30+ lb. fish we caught at the CCC, In some heavy current, of that rod, without any boat...:)...