Dealyrph

good surf rod 9-10 foot under $500. Looking

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Looking to invest in a great rod for New Jersey shore beach fishing with artificials.  Looking for a 3/4 to 3 oz lure .  Going to use a Van staal with it (either vsx or vr). Haven’t decided yet.  Want light and good action.  Was leaning toward a century slingshot 10’ .

15 mins ago, bayyaker54 said:

Check out the Black Hole Rods. The 10’ Suzuki 1/2-2 might be too light, but the 9’6” I think is 3/4-3 

He is looking for $500 rod. the Suzuki rod is too cheap. :)

You might check 10' and 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz. I think the rods can compete with any other high end rods. The price is only $320 - $350.  The rods are coming in May.

5 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

Good surf rod can be had for $500 but if you want great then you probably need to spend at least $1,000. 

What "grate" rod costs $1000?

1 hour ago, Dealyrph said:

Looking to invest in a great rod for New Jersey shore beach fishing with artificials.  Looking for a 3/4 to 3 oz lure .  Going to use a Van staal with it (either vsx or vr). Haven’t decided yet.  Want light and good action.  Was leaning toward a century slingshot 10’ .

For that kind of money, why not go full custom to your exact specs?

That is exact rod I was thinking of.  Does it throw light stuff well.  towards the lower spectrum of its class 3/4 oz.  would you buy different if you had a choice.  You don’t find it too short.

2 hours ago, Dealyrph said:

That is exact rod I was thinking of.  Does it throw light stuff well.  towards the lower spectrum of its class 3/4 oz.  would you buy different if you had a choice.  You don’t find it too short.

Yes, throws lower end of weight spectrum well, but I don't believe I've thrown less than 3/4 oz buck tails. I found 9' too short, but the 9'6" I find perfect.  I fish back bays and harbors mostly and occasionally big surf. Paired with the vs150, I can throw it all day. It's fun on schoolies and will handle the bigger ones too. I highly recommend it and don't think you'll be disappointed. I have Lamiglas, ODM and Black Hole and the Century is my go to rod. 

I will add that I don't think the other rods I mentioned would disappoint either. 

Good luck.