drumbum

Whats better than BG+Tica 9' on a buget?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Anyone have a suggestion of a better budget combo than a Daiwa BG-3500 and a Tica UEHA 9' 1/2-3oz.

Haven't been in the market for a good while and recently made this recommendation to an acquaintance, for an all around decent starter rig that would work in a pinch from pier or beach for lures, and could lob some bait when needed.

What's the latest on bang for your buck?

Thanks for any input.

I see the Star rods 10' Paraflex rod & Daiwa BG 5000 reel as a bonafide top dog in the bang for the buck dept. Ready for anything except soaking.

3 hours ago, Mbrody said:

BH Suzuki 9'6 and Daiwa BG if budget permits a $200 rod

I own and have fished this combination and can say this is a great combo.  The BH Suzuki in particular is really exceptional.  Much nicer in my opinion than the similarly priced Mojo or Airwave Elite.  The only downside with the BG for it's price is the lack of sealing so be careful with splashes.

55 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I own and have fished this combination and can say this is a great combo.  The BH Suzuki in particular is really exceptional.  Much nicer in my opinion than the similarly priced Mojo or Airwave Elite.  The only downside with the BG for it's price is the lack of sealing so be careful with splashes.

So far the BGs that I've owned have handled splashes quite well.

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

So far the BGs that I've owned have handled splashes quite well.

That’s great. Unfortunately for me, mine became quite crunchy. 

Could consider the Tsunami Shield that is supposed to be more resistant? I just like the smoothness and feel of the BG more than it...but I will continue to preach that the darn BH Suzuki is a great value/performance rod.

I like a good hardly used rod, of course, I'm still in the stone ages preferring Fisher,  Lami, Rainshadow, St. Croix to all the others. Then again, other than a Century 9'6" I've never owned any of the newer selection that for me are overpriced.

For an inexpensive rod I do like the Star, for around a hunny you've got a good stick. Never liked the Tsunami, Ticas or Okumas, always thought they felt mushy, particularly in the tips.

I'll take my 9' Fisher to the grave, combined with a Daiwa SS2600, I can use it for most conditions.

16 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I like a good hardly used rod, of course, I'm still in the stone ages preferring Fisher,  Lami, Rainshadow, St. Croix to all the others. Then again, other than a Century 9'6" I've never owned any of the newer selection that for me are overpriced.

For an inexpensive rod I do like the Star, for around a hunny you've got a good stick. Never liked the Tsunami, Ticas or Okumas, always thought they felt mushy, particularly in the tips.

I'll take my 9' Fisher to the grave, combined with a Daiwa SS2600, I can use it for most conditions.

9 foot Fisher and a SS2600 is a combo that will outlive cockroaches and most zombies.  But its not a combo on scale with a bg3500 /tica in price.  

2 hours ago, Mbrody said:

Could consider the Tsunami Shield that is supposed to be more resistant? I just like the smoothness and feel of the BG more than it...but I will continue to preach that the darn BH Suzuki is a great value/performance rod.

Can the 9’6 really handle 3 oz? Wish there was a 1-4 maybe a 10’6”1-5.