joetackle

Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery

5 posts in this topic

I have the week off and looking for some things to do. Never been to the hatchery and would like to check it out. I know it's like shooting fish in a barrel but wonder if anyone has been there. 

I've lived in the area a long time and, as far as I know, adults have not been permitted to fish in the hatchery. Only kids, I think, on their annual Kids day.

6 hours ago, flysully said:

I've lived in the area a long time and, as far as I know, adults have not been permitted to fish in the hatchery. Only kids, I think, on their annual Kids day.

The website doesn't say anything about age restrictions, but thanks for your input. I'll bring my rod just in case.

Rules & Regulations: Fishing is on a first come, first serve basis, no more than 12 fisherpeople on the fishing platform at a time. Only paid fisherpeople may enter the fishing platform. Fishing will only take place on the fishing platform during designated times. Fishing poles may be rented from the Hatchery, one hook & bobber included in the rental. Rental fees must be paid at the time of rental. Bait and additional hooks & bobbers may be purchased in the Gift Shop. Part of the fishing experience is baiting and removing fish from the hook yourself. Personal fishing equipment, with the exception of fly fishing rods, may be used. The Hatchery is not responsible for the loss or damage of personal fishing equipment. ** A fishing fee of $5 per person will be paid before entering the fishing platform. ** All trout caught must be kept.  ** No catch and release fishing.** ** All trout caught will cost $4 per fish.

A lot of the Suffolk/Nassau water bodies should be stocked already, or will be shortly. I personally would rather do that than $4 per fish.

54 mins ago, C.Robin said:

A lot of the Suffolk/Nassau water bodies should be stocked already, or will be shortly. I personally would rather do that than $4 per fish.

It's not the money, since some of those trout come from this hatchery. Besides my NYS fishing license, I wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks towards their production.