thebigangrybear

Massive Fire at Silver Sands State Park

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last night what is being described as a "massive fire" broke out at the Silver Sands State Park construction project.  Sounds like a total loss to the three buildings that would serve the public.  The 5,000 sq ft garage for the state was not affected.  The park was set to open to the public on Memorial Day weekend.  

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Silver-Sands-fire-engulfs-new-buildings-under-13701944.php

$9.1M up in smoke... what a tremendous F up.  I hope someone is found to be responsible.  How does this affect tax payers, while the contractors all have insurance, states do not typically purchase insurance so does that mean we are just going to pay for this twice?  

Edited by thebigangrybear

Of course we will pay .... just like the delay in the DMV software upgrade a few years back. CT specializes in FU's that are funded by tax payers. 

Look at the tree / branch removal on the Merritt Pkwy a few years back( & still going on). After clearing, they planted a load of small trees where they cut down bigger trees, often in front of woods where there was no need to screen anything.  Then they water once & 2/3 of the newly planted trees die. The ones that live of course, will have to be trimmed or cut down in 25 years. 

It is really difficult to FU continually as bad as this sate has. I give them 5 stars for FU's.

Edited by gman1253

I really hope we find out what happened, but I think it is very unlikely we will.  I agree it is very suspicious. 

The fire brings up so many questions about the build though, for three buildings to go up like that, as quickly as they did, is pretty uncommon.  If it was a "natural" fire, I feel like construction code would have slowed the burn down and somewhat contained it.  That is IF they were built to code... the state was "waiving" anything that would slow the project down so I wouldn't be surprised if they built these out of timber soaked in gasoline.   

I will bet we get to look at the remains of this fire for another 3 years.  So unbelievably frustrating.  

24 hours later and there are people going on the record stating that this "looks to be contractor negligence" rather then arson.

22 hours ago, thebigangrybear said:

That is IF they were built to code... the state was "waiving" anything that would slow the project down so I wouldn't be surprised if they built these out of timber soaked in gasoline.   

So you think that the state doesn't build things to code?  Can you give us any examples?

It prob. was related to the construction - rags with stain on them, etc.  The sprinklers were not installed yet.

Edited by PaulS

2 hours ago, PaulS said:

So you think that the state doesn't build things to code?  Can you give us any examples?

It prob. was related to the construction - rags with stain on them, etc.  The sprinklers were not installed yet.

Rather than list them all, I will provide you with the one that made me most upset...  The environmental impact study (EIS) required by law to be submitted with the plans for the project in 2015 was 22 years old, it was authored in 1993 for a completely different project, that original project was rejected. 

The EIS is published for public review and comment, when the EIS was pushed out for the 2015 project, the public cried for a new study to be done, one that takes into account the current state of Silver Sands... and the State said they were too far along to do another study and kept bulldozing their way forward.  

In case you aren't familiar with the beach, it has changed dramatically in the last 25 years, storm damage in recent years has caused great erosion, the marshland has rebounded, and the number of species making this park their home has significantly increased. 

https://www.milfordmirror.com/50204/milford-officials-call-for-environmental-impact-evaluation-at-silver-sands/ 

Also, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on climate change but maybe its a bad idea to be building a $9.1M project without a recent EIS, on land that was turned into a state park after a hurricane destroyed close to 100 homes in 1955, and got whacked in both Sandy and Irene.

As for more specific building code... when is the last time you saw a project being built on a marsh, with timber frame construction, and power to the building but not fire prevention?  Sprinklers were not installed, ok then what about fire breaks in the construction of the 3 buildings, what about using flame retardant or resistant materials?  How about just an alarm?  Just something to say "hey, this $9.1M project is about to burn down why doesn't someone come to take a look"?

The project itself was such a hot button topic, I was against it (in support of bathrooms but you can do that for a lot less than $9.1M) but that battle was never a fair fight, and no objections mattered... the park happened.  I really see all that as a separate thing now... the real shame of all this is that after all that fighting, that park was built, the "environmental impact" whatever it is or will be, has already taken place, and now its happened for nothing.    

If a new environmental impact study was required (code) anyone could have easily taken the state to court.  Wny wasn't that done - bc they knew they would lose.

Flame resistant material?   Is that a requirement that wasn't done (ie not up to code)?

Edited by PaulS

6 mins ago, PaulS said:

If a new environmental impact study was required (code) anyone could have easily taken the state to court.  Wny wasn't that done - bc they knew they would lose.

They did, and they were unsuccessful... the state gets to play by its own rules.  

states always have leeway in certain areas.  That is not the state not building things to code or a "f U" by the state.  It is prob. a contractor/worker doing something wrong.

No question of what on happened on Tuesday night now...

Emergency crews are responding to multiple construction trailer fires at Silver Sands State Park in Milford, according to police.

The call came in just before 7 a.m., police said.

Firefighters found two 40-foot trailers burning when they arrived, according to fire officials.

The trailers were part of the construction site for a newly-built concession stand and restroom facility that burned down in a massive fire on Tuesday night.

Really? From NH Register...

“Investigators still have not determined what started the first fire, but were examining whether arson was involved, the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection’s Environmental Conservation Police had said. But several sources said Wednesday little indicated the fire was intentionally set.”

4 hours ago, Kierran said:

Really? From NH Register...

“Investigators still have not determined what started the first fire, but were examining whether arson was involved, the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection’s Environmental Conservation Police had said. But several sources said Wednesday little indicated the fire was intentionally set.”

Everybody involved in the investigation keeps hinting that they know what happened on Tuesday night, and that it wasn't arson... I wish they would say more but I assume they are not because there are lawyers and insurance companies involved now.  If it was contractor negligence, the insurance company would at least bear the loss, and not us as taxpayers.  

Also, there are a lot of guys who are construction savvy on this site... Kim Rose went on the record that there were contractors staining wood the day of the fire, and they were using space heaters.  Anybody who has ever stained wood knows that you cannot do it in cold weather.  The wood repels the stain.  You would need to heat the space continuously for a 2-3 days.  It is also known that no one was present at the time of the fire, no one was injured at the time of the fire.  If this fire was started by unattended space heaters, the contractor responsible should lose their license and maybe even go to jail.  

Who the hell knows what is going on with the recent fires, but I hope they start releasing more details on the first one soon.  

let me guess - pure speculation. 

the contractor(s) involved is operating in an LLC or corporation which has no assets the state can go after. 

Contractor may lose their license - not sure what fines could be levied.