drmevo

First fly rod and reel

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys, sorry for probably the millionth thread with this kind of question but here goes. I’ve been thinking that I’d like to try my hand at fly fishing this season. I’ve done some reading here and it sounds like L.L. Bean rods and reels are decent for the money. They’re having one of their 25% off sales right now so of course I got to thinking maybe I should act fast.

I fish NH/Maine waters for stripers.  In my experience lately there are plenty of schoolies and some small keeper to mid-30” fish here and there. I usually fish inlets, bays and harbors from my kayak and would probably stick to similar areas. I also live by a herring run.

The combo I was looking at is the Streamlight Ultra II 9’ 8 weight. Does anyone have any feedback on this one? Does it sound like it might fit the type of fishing I would be doing?

I would probably try to get a lesson or two and pick up some books to prepare. 

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Shakespeare  Wonder Rod, 7 foot fiberglass 2 piece solid ferrule fly rod.

Pflueger  Metalist 1492 Fly Reel no backing

Scientist Angler Supreme HCH Double taper floating fly line, Wet Cel HCH fly line.

Bought around 1963.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Capt.Castafly

LL Bean 8wt rod will be fine.  Any reel will do so don't spend a ton on that now.  Just make sure you take it home and give a good fresh water rinse.  I would go with an intermediate line.  You don't need a reel with any significant drag so don't let someone at the store or here talk you into that.

Edited by qecfly

Drmevo,

you will I’ll get lots of suggestions on rods and reel but I am going to try to stick to your specific question, the first being the LL Bean combo. I bought a LL Bean stream light ultra 9 ft 8 wt last year on a 25 % deal, I was actually in the store when I saw the rod and they were actually running a sale that any in store purchase would get an additional 25% discount, needless to say I jumped on it. I knew nothing about the rod but at the final price I figured I could not lose. This was in the late fall before Christmas.

I used that rod the following spring to see if my new backup rod was a good deal or not. I fished that rod the entire spring until I went to Florida for a couple of month.

I am guessing that based on what you said that access to LL Bean is not a big deal to get to and that combined with the waters you fish is also another plus to get the combo. 

I would recommend the combo, I was very happy with my purchase and I think you will be also.

I don’t know what reel it comes with but I am sure with good maintenance and it should last you more than long enough if you decided to upgrade the reel. The reel will be more than adequate for the waters you will be fishing. The thing with combos is they mostly come with a  floating line but I would highly recommend that you at least go with a intermediate fly line if possible.

Good luck on you decision.

Edited by bonefishdick

5 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Drmevo,

you will I’ll get lots of suggestions on rods and reel but I am going to try to stick to your specific question, the first being the LL Bean combo. I bought a LL Bean ll beam stream light ultra 9 ft 8 wt last year on a 25 % deal, I was actually in the store when I saw the rod and they were actually running a sale that

any I store purchase would get an additional 25% discount, needless to say I jumped on it. I knew nothing about the rod but at the final price I figured I could not lose 

Thank you. How did you end up liking it? Do you think it's a decent beginner rod? Or is there something out there that would be more appropriate?

9 mins ago, drmevo said:

that

10 mins ago, drmevo said:

Thank you. How did you end up liking it? Do you think it's a decent beginner rod? Or is there something out there that would be more appropriate?

My suggestion was to get the combo, I think you should re read my reply because there were other suggestions also along with how I fished the rod for months which is why I recommend the combo

15 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

My suggestion was to get the combo, I think you should re read my reply because there were other suggestions also along with how I fished the rod for months which is why I recommend the combo

I think part of your reply posted before the rest - what I quoted was all I saw. Makes sense now that the rest is there and certainly answers my questions. Thank you!

The notion that a rod can be a begginers Rods has always Intregued  me. 

Rods come for a given line rating in either fast ,moderate or slow action.

Many Guys will suggest for a begginer a moderate action . Which works ok but at same time I have used my own fast action rods when helping new guys aquire a cast and they had no,probs with a fast rod at all. I think slow rods are more difficult to learn to use and cast with.

No idea what action this all Bean rod has. Unlikely to be very fast. Probably more moderate.

Fast is not everything.

Never been attracted to combos personally. Some parts of it will be poor in many instances. But they get you going.

In this  case BFD has fished this rod for a while. He understands what it can do and translated that across to your requirements. This would be a pretty solid recommendation.

Wether it suits you is another matter. But truth is we can adapt to any decent rod out there. The difference between rods is often very little and more often that not very subjective.

Generally  speaking buying anything on the basis that it’s on sale is not most important parameter.

You have golden info from BFD so this can free you up from further deliberation and let you go and spend your money.

Next and vital job is to learn how to cast the thing properly.

Have fun.

Oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

That rod will be fine.  These are built on lightweight moderately fast action rod blanks, made in China.  I have the Streamlight Ultra 2 (newest version) 12'6" 7wt spey rod. Very light, nothing too fancy.  The single hand Streamlight Ultra 2 rods are also decent.   The main thing is that LL Bean no longer has a lifetime warranty on their gear. Too many people took advantage of it.

Keep the receipt from Bean.  If it breaks and they won't accept a return, then you are not out that much cash.  When these are on 25% discount (sometimes there is an even better sale offer) they are an excellent deal. I got my spey rod for ~$125.  It's definitely worth more than that.

Make sure to get some lessons and line the rod properly with a decent weight forward line (don't scrimp on the line).

Thanks guys. Any recommendations on a good line? @bonefishdick is correct, it comes with floating line. It looks like L.L. Bean carries Scientific Angler but I don't see saltwater line that is marked as "intermediate."

If you go with an intermediate line, make sure that it has a braided core not a mono core, as they will not coil and kink as much.  If you are going to fish it in colder water only then look for a line that is meant for coldwater use.  Airflo cold saltwater intermediate is a great line and very durable.  For a floating line, go with a Scientific Anglers MPX.  You will eventually want both a floater and an intermediate, maybe even a sinking shooting head (something that sinks faster than 3" per sec) to get deeper.

Reels - I'd take a good look at the new Echo Bravo for small change.  Get the smallest one (7/9) as these reels run larger.

Let us know how it goes with that rod. 

Edited by Killiefish

22 mins ago, Killiefish said:

If you go with an intermediate line, make sure that it has a braided core not a mono core, as they will not coil and kink as much.  If you are going to fish it in colder water only then look for a line that is meant for coldwater use.  Airflo cold saltwater intermediate is a great line and very durable.  For a floating line, go with a Scientific Anglers MPX.  You will eventually want both a floater and an intermediate, maybe even a sinking shooting head (something that sinks faster than 3" per sec) to get deeper.

Reels - I'd take a good look at the new Echo Bravo for small change.  Get the smallest one (7/9) as these reels run larger.

Let us know how it goes with that rod. 

Thank you. It's a combo so it comes with their Streamlight Ultra II reel, floating line, backing, and leader. I am planning to use the reel it comes with. If I replace the line with intermediate, would I also want to replace the backing and leader or can I reuse those?

Edited by drmevo

Sorry forgot it was a combo (For $187 or so that combo is a great deal).  Keep the same backing but get a second intermediate line for that reel.  The floating line it comes with could be o.k. especially as you are learning to cast.  Could simply replace the floating line later.

You could also get an extra spool there (@ Bean) for the reel (for around $40 with your discount), add backing and then spool your intermediate line on that.  I'm afraid that you will find that the intermediate line will cost more than the extra spool.  Search here: Airflo Cold Saltwater Intermediate.  Normally around $70-80.  But that line will last you 4-5 seasons.  Backing is simply 20lb dacron - need around 150 yards.

Edited by Killiefish

Here's what that Airflo intermediate striper line looks like.  Used to be able to get these direct from the U.K. for less.  Now harder to find for under $70.  Google machine search.  Get the 8wt for your rod, assuming you are getting the 8wt.

Airflo-Ridge-Striper-line.jpg

Leaders - After a bunch of casting lessons that one leader you get with the kit will be shredded.  You can purchase a half dozen saltwater (tapered) leaders, make your own tapered leaders, or use straight shots of 20lb mono to whatever tippet you prefer.