Prescribed Burning

Rate this topic

FunkyBunker

It's done here in SC near where I live. They call it controlled burns, but I never see anyone actually controlling anything, except they may put out signs on the roadways that say "Smoke Ahead" or "Dense Smoke". There's a lot of pine forests here, grown for the timber, and I guess the burning works. It burns off the under growth, and doesn't seem to be harming the tree's, so there's less chance of big forest fires. I'm sure it's a cost thing too, as going in with machinery to cut the undergrowth would cost more. They use machinery to clear areas around many of the forests, I guess as fire breaks. Timber is big business down here & they seem to know what they're doing. 

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it! 

When I lived in Pasadena, NJ it was on the border of Ocean and Burlington counties. What will always be Lebanon State park to my north, Greenwood across the tracks to the east, and The Wharton Tract south of me. They burned around me this time every year. Burn up that bad fuel. But the forests are made to burn every so often. It's nature.

I believe the Mass State law is controlled burning until Jan1 to   May1

Some towns want you to call fire dept and let them know.  They write your address down .   Also when you call they may say no, if they think it’s to windy that day.    Some towns 100’ away from the house and have a garden hose close by . No leaves. 

Just brush? 

Used to live in Bayville and went to Central Regional HS. Double trouble bordered our school property. Same as others mentioned, prescribed burns every year. It's a necessity to prevent massive wildfires. There was a wildfire when I was in middle School there that shut down the school for a few days. 

I also read that the Pine Barrens would be the oak barrens if it wasn't for the natural occurrence of fires. The fires reduce the natural acidity of the soil, which would be too acidic for the pines. 

25 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

Anything good happening  ?

Small scratches of life here and there, but nothing worth talking about yet.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back is better, which is expected, but even there, it's only just barely beginning to start.

We need 5 more degrees, which could happen in just a few days...........

2 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Small scratches of life here and there, but nothing worth talking about yet.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back is better, which is expected, but even there, it's only just barely beginning to start.

We need 5 more degrees, which could happen in just a few days...........

Yeah,a little early yet. We'll start seeing some action here in the Del. Bay  next month.

Practice catch and release