Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy29

DAM 550

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

So I have owned a DAM 550 for over ten years now. I don’t even remember how I acquired it. Anyway I was looking at it and besides a little rash on the bottom it’s in pretty good shape with a good cleaning and greasing. 

How many of you guys use these as a surf reel? I don’t need another surf reel but it might look good on a nice fiberglass chunking rod. What vintage are these reels from?

Not sure if it is the same reel family, but I have a couple Quick DAM reels from when I was a kid 40 years ago, one is a 110 and one is a 330, they are really nicely made from West Germany. 

I used these. The 550 is a good reel but parts are hard to come by. I sold mine here in about 2015.  I would say they are probably 1950's to 1970's era.  The gears are indestructible, but the bail spring is not.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a DAM Quick Finessa 550N in the late 70's with a 10' Fenwick Fenglass rod to catch blues from the beach. Still have the rod, the reel gave up after a few trips and I went to a 704Z. Still have an extra spool for the DAM hanging around as a paperweight on my desk.

Edited by Recoil Rob