cashews121

Mono

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Who here is a mono nut? Havent fished mono in many years..going to set up my Newell 229 and do some bucktailing..would like to hear some thoughts...........

I still use mono for all my freshwater stuff and a 710z on a fiberglass rod that I like to use for schoolers occasionally. I stick with the Trilene XL for all applications and wouldn’t trade it for anything. It’s also great for beginners that may not be great at keeping a bend in the rod because the line stretch will help keep the tension and result in fewer dropped fish. Also spoil my bait rods with mono since they see seldom use and I can’t justify the cost of braid when I’m only casting once every half hour. It’s not an obsolete line, it’s great for certain applications!!!!

I think the ande backcountry is a very decent line. It's pretty tough and is a little softer with less memory than traditional ande  pink and clear. Seems to be a good value for the money too.

I like it for topwater I think it gives the fish extra time to grab the hooks.

Also for revolving spool reels. 

Its all I use.  All applications.  I do have braid on 2 spinners but I don't use spinning.  Standardized on buying Big Game in bulk but have been experimenting with Maxima and like it a lot.  I'm an odd duck to today's world. I use old stuff, old reels and wood plugs mostly.  Texas rigging with bigger soft plastics is tougher but I learned to use a stinger hook, Swedish style.  I'm happy not needing extra tools to cut braid.  I'm happier with better abrasion resistance of mono.  I'm happier with line that doesn't get caught in high winds and float away from the intended target.  I'm very happy sticking to easier knots that I can do in the dark, in the wind, eyes closed.

I don't consider myself a mono nut or a mono only guy but I still use it quite a bit. I still load it onto some of my spinning reels and use it on my bait casters and conventional reels. It has served me well since I started fishing and I see no reason to stop. Braid is good but I hate the expense and, man, when you get a bad wind knot...

I use braid for jigging in deeper water, some deep-water bait fishing, and on the rare occasions that I fish from the beach.  Also for freshwater fishing in heavy weeds.  For everything else, I prefer mono.

Just tried some Silver thread. Only field cast it on my 525 mag so far. Definitely one of the better monos I've tried. Landed my only surf caught 5O on 15lb back country. Was a little outgunned though. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would wanna be

but as I cast 200 ft. into the river, sinker of 250 grams rolls like brownie

with 0.60 mm mono

so I see why braid can be of use - help, but still gonna stick with mono

Edited by glos

I love the cabelas salt striker copolymer lines.

thinner than reg mono and great price for a bulk spool that goes on sale like every month or so.

casts great,no memory and since I only fish winches it's my goto line.

also a fave of mine is sea-striker clear mono,very soft and comfortable to fish with.

low memory and has a slick feel to it.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've said it before. I only use Mono, Started many winter's ago. Caught a lot of fish with it. I also liked the old gudbrode braided line for deep sea fishing. I tried braid 3 or 4 times, didn't like it at all. Mono for me. I like BBG.  

Edited by hunter123

1 hour ago, cashews121 said:

Would you say it’s better than big game trilene?

Im gonna say yes, but I only use the 17# on my 6500 size Abu's and 525 Penns. I think it cast better, smoother line, very good abrasion resistance, better distance. Manly used on open sandy beach. I think it has a big following down Hatteras way with the drum fishers. On my 7000 Abu's for chunking, I usually just spool up with Ande 20#. I have braid on a few Abu's also, but I just find myself holding back a bit on a good hard power cast for fear of that inevitable bird nest snap off.

2 hours ago, CDubbs said:

Im gonna say yes, but I only use the 17# on my 6500 size Abu's and 525 Penns. I think it cast better, smoother line, very good abrasion resistance, better distance. Manly used on open sandy beach. I think it has a big following down Hatteras way with the drum fishers. On my 7000 Abu's for chunking, I usually just spool up with Ande 20#. I have braid on a few Abu's also, but I just find myself holding back a bit on a good hard power cast for fear of that inevitable bird nest snap off.

Well I'd be using it for chunking most likely..so probably 20 lb test..is what I'd be using...Sufix also makes something called ADVANCE as well.. maybe someone can comment on this Line as well