Stonesipher

Navionics vs C Map and others

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am probably going to purchase a new Raymarine Element for this season. It is offered pre loaded in 3 chart versions.

1 Lighthouse

2 Navionics

3 C Map

Do any of you have any preferences. I have used and like Navionics but have no first hand knowledge of the other 2. Also, I have a Navionics chip that came in a Lowrance bundle and thought it might be best to get my unit rigged with one of the other 2 and then have the option of inserting the Nav chip when I want to use it.

Any feed back would be helpful.

Many of the high end optional chips have a enormous amount of data and features.

Recreational captain might use 10% of it.

Just have to figure out which of those features are important to you, then focus on comparing that feature among the different charting brands. 

Can only offer experienced opinion for navionics on my simrad nss evo2 -

base insight chart was ok for experienced waters. inshore contours lacked fine detail.

navionics+ was the best value for my application, robust charting and super fine contours.

includes 1 year of updates.

interesting feature included in this grade is navionics community-edits

Have always been a Navionics fan (still am) but just contacted support with a simple question and waited 9 days for a response.

Garmin is too proprietary and can be expensive.

curious with cmap though and will try at some point.

I just got a Lowrance ti2 that came with c-map and nav chip. Swapping between the 2 the navionics has quadruple the info. I was just playing around with it a bit in my driveway after I installed it but the C-maps wasn't coming up with much for freshwater and I am only 20 miles inland. Its also my first legit unit coming from a 4" 2d Garmin sooo its still all new to me. 

I found out that C map is not popular at all but did find out that my Navionics chip will work in my Raymarine so I got it with the Lighthouse mapping system installed and can switch to Navionics at any time.

The more I learn about this Element the more excited I get to try it on the water !!!!

On 4/10/2019 at 6:32 AM, NHAngler said:

Have always been a Navionics fan (still am) but just contacted support with a simple question and waited 9 days for a response.

Garmin is too proprietary and can be expensive.

curious with cmap though and will try at some point.

Garmin bought out Navionics FYI

On 5/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, NHAngler said:

NS, that must be why I waited 9 days then. Oh well. I guess there is always my trusty Ritchie compass that I can use. 

Always have a compass backup. Most people are starting to believe they will never have a failure with their electronics. :beatin: