What oil/grease do you use?

Rate this topic

jk20a3

So I know not all lubricants are created equal(insert joke here) but I’m starting to notice the seals on some of my reels as well as the rubber rotor brake(aka Saltiga) are pretty dry from storage over the winter(not dry rotted just need a lube). I was wondering what’s a good oil for future use for o-rings, body gaskets, etc that won’t deteriorate them, also a good grease for oil seals. For my conventionals I use Cal’s grease, and the blue Penn stuff for everything along with Reel-X, but they’re pretty much all metal workhorses with no sealing.

1 hour ago, jk20a3 said:

So I know not all lubricants are created equal(insert joke here) but I’m starting to notice the seals on some of my reels as well as the rubber rotor brake(aka Saltiga) are pretty dry from storage over the winter(not dry rotted just need a lube). I was wondering what’s a good oil for future use for o-rings, body gaskets, etc that won’t deteriorate them, also a good grease for oil seals. For my conventionals I use Cal’s grease, and the blue Penn stuff for everything along with Reel-X, but they’re pretty much all metal workhorses with no sealing.

The reel x works for seals. That's what I use for the rotor seal for my torque 5. Never had a problem. 

Used marine bearing grease for years without any issues. Last year I tore down a couple of reels and used Sil-Glyde synthetic automotive brake caliper grease and it worked great.  I did a couple of brake jobs last year and had it leftover. I figured if it was good enough for the harsh conditions  that an automotive brake caliper has to endure (high heat, rain, snow, road salt, etc.) that it would work well in the couple of reels I chose to test the stuff in.  It’s good stuff, not too pricey, is available in most auto parts stores in tubes and tubs. I’ll be using it again.

Edited by valentine

For what it’s worth, Craig Cantelmo of VS recommends just gear oil for the seals and gaskets on their reels.  I actually fill my VS with gear oil not grease and that also works great. Makes replacing the lube very easy and makes the reel less stiff to crank.  

14 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

For what it’s worth, Craig Cantelmo of VS recommends just gear oil for the seals and gaskets on their reels.  I actually fill my VS with gear oil not grease and that also works great. Makes replacing the lube very easy and makes the reel less stiff to crank.  

That may work with a VS,  but with reels that are not sealed as well ,they could leak.