How do you know when you are too old to kayak?

You arrive at the beach with your kayak and forgot your paddle  Your fish finder is black and white and it looks like an old video game called pong ?

Your kayak is attached to your roof with rope instead of straps?  You started to fish at night to avoid the sun burn. . Your empty peanut butter 

jar is one of your must have items for the trip? . (pee jar) You can't remember where you parked your car? You can't find your launch site?

You caught a blue fish but you thought it was a stripped bass ?  You can't remember anybody's name you are fishing with? You locked your keys in the car again?

You wonder why nobody is answering you on your vhf radio but you are  pressing the wrong button when you speak? You never knew an improved clinch knot would 

pull out with braid until  you caught a fish? You ran out of  drinking water while being surrounded by water? You launched your kayak and realized your front drain plug

was not put back into the drain? You landed your kayak and ended up in the water with  a good amount of water in your dry suit because your relief zipper was never

closed. You tried to pull your kayak off the roof but your front tie down strap was still attached?  You returned to your locked truck but your window was open ? 

You remember  doing things that you never did ?  I can't wait to go fishing in April.  Hope to see you all out there again. Don't feel bad if I forget your name.

I few more:

You forget to attached the kayak to your roof.

You left the mirage drive at home.

You know all your kayak buddy handles on SOL but not any of there names.

I just forgot the next one I was going to type here.

"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

When you lock up the car, then realize the key on your PFD is to the OTHER car...

When you find you forgot your paddle shorts after an hour drive, and have to go fishing in your stylish non-cotton boxer briefs.

When you stuff your drytop inside the center hatch just in case, and then find it moldering there 2 weeks later.

5 mins ago, Slacker said:

The time I drove 30 miles, unloaded the kayak, put my PFD on, got the crate set up... and then realized I didn't have any rods, got me to wondering.

For me it was the paddle, or the cart, or the battery, or the seat or the...

You would be surprised how many people can't self rescue. If you consider Sit inside kayaks the % is even higher.. But I have seen several people not be albe to self rescue in a sit on top kayak as well. Even on  a warm calm day. Go to any kayak beach in new jersey in the ocean and you will see the life guards rescue

people in kayaks who flipped or fell out  that were not even fishing. 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:13 PM, Slacker said:

The time I drove 30 miles, unloaded the kayak, put my PFD on, got the crate set up... and then realized I didn't have any rods, got me to wondering.

I've done this a few times, luckily each time I realized it I was only a mile from home.

When your friends and family put you in the ground!!.....62, new heart valve, repaired tendon, bad back, weak knees and weak mind, but still going strong!.....jack

Just wanna fish!
DMS#1157    NCBBA#11293     NJBBA#4597

Yellow Eyed Devil from the beginning!