FlounderWetspot

Grass shrimp

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Anyone in NJ catching their own grass shrimp? None of my local B&t have them in stock yet. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how they catch them if they do and also if there easily obtainable in the early spring season? 

Thanks in advanced SOL.

I don't know how active or available they are this time of year, but if you go to any bayside marsh or dock with a fine-meshed net and just run it along the eel grass or seaweed line or up the pilings you should catch some if they're there.  Bring a good flashlight - their eyes reflect the light.

Tons of them all winter at our dock where there is little current for them to swim against when they are sluggish. Drop net (umbrella net) baited with a half bunker will produce all you want. Also like mentioned, shrimp net dragged against the growth under floating docks and pilings will produce.

Thank you for the heads up and info fellas I appreciate it! Here’s one for ya, a buddy and I got a few short handled fine mesh nets and made our way to a what we thought would be a productive spot. When we arrived it looked promising. Had cat tails on a mudd wall with some grass like vegetation on the bottom, tucked away on the side of a back bay creek off shoot. As were making our way into knee deep mud at low tide to swipe away along the bottom here comes a very very very pissed off swan. Pushing wake paddling hard with wings flared and hissing only to take flight and close the distance rapidly. Must have been right around the bend out of sight when we arrived because he wasn’t there when we started. Boyyyy was he fired up. Now, in knee deep mud you aren’t moving to fast but I out ran my buddy. He barley got out of his way and had the mudd in his knee high rubbers to show for it. Absolutely hilarious. As we tried to work the bank the swan wouldn’t have it. Mission aborted. We went out of sight of the swan and stumbled upon what must have been thousands of mud minnows pooled up in an area that was connected via drain pipe to the what we now call the swan hole. We took about three nets worth and went to work perching. Skunked out but was still memorable to say the least. Moral of the story beware of the beloved swan.

A nasty bird and very destructive, several years ago one was responsible for the death of a maintenance man. The guy was in a kayak when attacked and drown as a result. I wonder what the law is regarding them, protected or fair game.

I just recently found the remains of a second dead swan in a state park. Both were on land so I'm guessing it was a coyote as we hear them occasionally in the area. 

Many, many years ago we made up a "sled" that we would pull behind the boat through eel grass. Used a gas pipe frame on which we lashed a piece of seine net. Hard, dirty work but it produced all we needed for the day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Drop net at the dock in the dead of winter. After I pulled the net it is sitting on our snow covered deck.

001_zpsccdac67b.jpg

:eek: Holy moly! 

How long of a soak? Is it somthing I can just tool around while it soaks or do I need to leave it for a few days? 

Edited by FlounderWetspot

I think I remember getting them in our minnow trap (with bunker) pretty regularly- especially when the minnows weren’t around. I haven’t used the trap in years though. 

When I was a wee Lippen, I didn't have a mesh dip net, so I took an old crab dip net, ripped the old, torn net off, and tied a half of a killie trap to it. A couple of swings down off any dock or bulkhead that had grass always resulted in plenty of bait for the day.

4 hours ago, FlounderWetspot said:

:eek: Holy moly! 

How long of a soak? Is it somthing I can just tool around while it soaks or do I need to leave it for a few days? 

Around here it's like a half hour if I have a hunk of bunker hanging on the net. 

I just got back from fishing a local river and dipped my shrimp net in the gravel just for kicks. Seems like the shrimp eggs are hatching because I got tons of baby grass shrimp, maybe 2mm or so as well as some adults