Cape cod

Rate this topic

Peterf

Baitrunner adds weight, tougher to maintain, and as mentioned, the 12 is huge for the canal. Buy any of the others folks in this thread are recommending. Unless you're trolling us. Then, the 14k Baitrunner will be great for drifting live pogies for cruising sailfish. East running tide only though. Full moon. 

Edited by BillyBallGame

(*member formerly known as 'wmitchell1')

Yes, absolutely.  The Saragosa is probably the most commonly used reel at the Canal.  8k or 10k size.  

All depends on your budget, but any reel I mentioned will suit you well.  

If you're trolling us, well played!  :hooked:

Edited by TLap21

10 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

Baitrunner adds weight, tougher to maintain, and as mentioned, the 12 is huge for the canal. Buy any of the others folks in this thread are recommending. Unless you're trolling us. Then, the 14k Baitrunner will be great for drifting live pogies for cruising sailfish. East running tide only though. Full moon. 

Ya some one else was telling me the 12is big but they said if I hook a small tuna the 12 would be able to handle it I just want to be prepared for what ever pops up but I am checking into the Saragosa 8000

4 mins ago, Peterf said:

Ya some one else was telling me the 12is big but they said if I hook a small tuna the 12 would be able to handle it I just want to be prepared for what ever pops up but I am checking into the Saragosa 8000

8k size in any of the reels mentioned is a good bet. Odds are you're never going to hook a tuna in the CCC. Gosa 8k is a sweet reel, go with that. Spinfisher Vs were on sale over at West, I think the 8k was around a hundred bucks. That's a steal if they still have them in stock. 

(*member formerly known as 'wmitchell1')

37 mins ago, Reed422 said:

tuna lol

The tuna bycatch fishery is large in the canal, Reed. Especially amongst those who road troll for orcas

orca-microphone.jpg.28d759f464c2ed6c9e4d3cf4b045e982.jpg

(¬_¬) 

Baitrunner makes a fine reel for orcas, btw

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

5 hours ago, Vaporizor said:

pretty sure they are not  talking about BFT in the canal, plus you cannot keep a BFT from shore if you happen to catch one anyhow

Over the years tuna have been known to get hooked, but not landed. So it might not be as rare as one expects , because it does happen

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

Peterf,  A bait runner type of reel is designed with two seperate drags.   A normal "fighting" drag that is set so the fish can pull line before it breaks.

And a second drag, normally on the back of the reel, that you would set very loose so that the fish can swim away after eating the bait and alert you that a fish is on!

With a flip of the lever or a turn of the handle it will engage the fighting drag so you can reel the fish in.

This type of reel is not a good choice for the Canal because of the strong currents.

A better choice would be a reel designed with a a lot of line capacity and a powerful fighting drag.

Please remember to treat the the Canal fish "and fisherman" with respect.  

Only keep what the law allows and only what you can eat fresh.  :howdy:

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

PeterF, the material you quote is clearly written by someone whose experience comes primarily from tropic or subtropical waters. The CCC is not like that.  You can't effectively fish bait there, save for slack water (a small part of the 24-hour cycle) and the fish may be out towards mid-Canal, requiring a vigorous cast. These things make a baitrunner NOT an optimal choice.