iphish

Should Eli be traded?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

If Eli is on the roster today ( monday 3/18) at 4pm eastern, he recieves a 5 million dollar bonus. If you are the giants should you trade him today, right now, should you get on the phones and see if there is any interest or some picks?

His cap hit for 2019 will be over 23 million.

This is business, its not about what he has done for you in the past. Odell is gone, so what are you paying for. Eli's stats will likely be worse this year.

Makes no sense at all from a financial and rebuild perspective to keep Eli after today. But IMO this is what sets the Giants ownership apart from the rest.  They're going to keep him and pay him his money as a gesture of respect for what Eli has brought the organization.

23 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Makes no sense at all from a financial and rebuild perspective to keep Eli after today. But IMO this is what sets the Giants ownership apart from the rest.  They're going to keep him and pay him his money as a gesture of respect for what Eli has brought the organization.

So you are probably right what ownership will do, maybe they realized say a 4 or 5th round pick in return and they'll still have to throw money out the window isn't worth it.  

Getting rid a of a loyal player needs to be done in todays NFL business model, especially in large metro markets. Some teams prefer doing earlier while there is still value and a return, its never easy and  fans have such short term memory especially if the team returns to winning.

if they have a line, and no other viable QB, keep him. else ditch him.

he wasn't the biggest problem last year by far.

Obviously the Giants management feels Eli gives them the best chance at leading this team regardless of cost. This isn't HS where the senior gets to play because he played last year and his teammates like him. This is big business and not likely they are tossing around 20+ million because they feel obligated and Eli is a nice guy. IMHO, they are fooling themselves, Eli hasn't been a top 15 QB since his last SB win, which was many moons ago, this year doesn't look any better than the last 6 or 7. 

He should have been cut.  He's not going to get traded with a $23M pricetag.  

Giants are caught up in the past, and as a result have no view toward the future.  Scary times.

As a Patriot fan I detest Eli and always will.   That being said he did win a couple Superbowls for the Giants and is probably deserving of some respect to their legacy but not to the extent of costing them their future.  

Let's face it.   No disrespect , he's no Tom Brady.   

Does he have any aspirations to get in the booth after his career?   I haven't heard a thing about that.   If he can be half as animated as his brother he's got another career ahead of him.  I don't think he's as funny as Peyton though.  

3 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Does he have any aspirations to get in the booth after his career?   I haven't heard a thing about that.   If he can be half as animated as his brother he's got another career ahead of him.  I don't think he's as funny as Peyton though.  

I wouldn't count on that.

Related image

2 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Supposedly he is funnier and more likable then Peyton. My neighbors kid goes to his(Manning’s) QB camp said he’s(all 3)hilarious and approachable. 

13 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

How dumb will the Giants look if they draft QB in the first round.  They would basically be blowing away millions of dollars.

But how smart would they look if their plan is to draft a QB in the first round, someone trades up and grabs the guy they want one pick ahead of them, and instead of then being left with nothing, they still have Eli for one more year?

Whether Eli plays well or badly this coming season has at least as much to do with his offensive line as with Eli personally. Can they keep him upright?  Can they block well? We won't know that until the new season starts.

The bigger unknown is probably Eli's ability to be a teacher to a new, raw QB, if they land one, either this year or next. I think he'd be good at that. It would be nice if a new guy gets a study year, so to speak. 

I see Beckham, having just joined a team with a very hot young QB and another standout wide receiver who is a buddy of his, is already talking about redoing his contract (upwards). I think that this is at least a partial vindication of management's thought processes in deciding to trade him.

Eddy! If you're in this thread, what do you think of bringing in Kaepernick?  ;)