JoeyZac

Under The Lights..............

Rate this topic

365 posts in this topic

Getting ready to up my game a little.  May is time for "Baby Everything."  Need more tanks, so I can keep all the little guys safe from the big guys and the exotics that will come later.

The tank on the right is the one I've put pics of so far.  I think it's a 40 gallon.  The empty one, getting filled tomorrow, I think is a 90, and that will hold all the bigger guys and exotic stuff I hope to get as the summer goes on.

For anyone that lives in between Point Pleasant and Cape May, if you wind up catching anything small and awesome, I'll come to you if you'd like to make a donation.

20190428_201621.jpg.faacbea51d9d3b682f1285b22e8730f8.jpg

I have caught look downs in sign nets looking for bait in nj. I saw a vid some place they catch them the size of a plate. I guess down south right?

36 mins ago, fishing pete said:

I have caught look downs in sign nets looking for bait in nj. I saw a vid some place they catch them the size of a plate. I guess down south right?

I've never seen a big one caught up here.  Always little guys, late summer.  I guess they all die once the water gets into the 60s, and none of them have a chance to grow.  If they did, in the lagoons, we'd occasionally catch a big one, but it's always babies.

We've had a few occasion where we've been able to keep them alive all winter, then release them in the inlet the following July.  Whether or not they ever made it, who knows, but at least they were given a chance.

12 hours ago, fishing pete said:

Bigger ones mix with snook in the docklights down in FL, they usually stay pretty deep during the day.  Never seen one up here very cool to see they make it up this far, even if they’re babies.

FBA2EDD5-90C3-4FEC-B320-67E04847D702.jpeg

98620C08-2900-4126-AF2E-DC9440658D76.jpeg

They blowfish have showed up in the back, ocean county. A good friend had 25 This past Friday while drum fishing. Of course, I was working so didn't get to partake.... 

It's kind of funny.  These 2 are actually inseparable.  I really thought the little should be concerned that the big one would eat him, but I guess not.

20190430_160804.jpg.fe8f599cf3a2c5b9effcc0c3526ef92b.jpg

2 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Would this be considered poaching? The regulated species anyway? 

Too many people are taking the fun out of life already.

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

of course not, it's considered long term catch and release, look it up in the NJ fish and game regs

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

By the letter of the law, probably.

By anyone who isn't ****ing insane, probably not.

I think he has a special permit or something and works with local aquarium. I could be mixed up but think I remember that detail from a prior thread.