JoeyZac

Under The Lights..............

Rate this topic

497 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, pioneeratsea said:

Joey:  Hope you'll be able to make this year's Sam's Pizza event out of No Bones.  Always a good way to start off a new season. 

Dan

Fred always plans it during the winter, when he knows I'm skiing out west.

Yeah, I know that Sam's decides when they're going to open, but still, somehow, Fred is in on it.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:06 PM, JoeyZac said:

Fred always plans it during the winter, when he knows I'm skiing out west.

Yeah, I know that Sam's decides when they're going to open, but still, somehow, Fred is in on it.

You think that I would plan a Sam's opening when you are gone just to keep you away. Total nonsense. Now that I cleared that up can you give me the exact date you plan on leaving? :naughty:

My tank just keeps evolving. I can't help myself. Surprising amount of life in the river in the middle of winter. It's been a stickleback blitz lately. Every time I pull the trap there is another one in amongst the killies. Also got a couple interesting little sand shrimp that mostly stay buried with just their eyes poking out. Last time out clamming I gathered some sponges and seaweed to add. They were covered in some kind of worm/larvae that the stickleback love to eat. So the stickleback hang in the plants and hunt all day. Tank is getting interesting. Upon first glance, it's just spearing, but the more you watch, the more critters you see. And with no predators, each creature just acts natural and goes about its business.

This will slow down with the cold snap coming but the waters around our dock are teaming with life. 

About three or four times a week one or two guys stop by to scrape the dock floats for grass shrimp for white perch baits. Literally tons of the shrimp holding over in our protected waters. Even more of them than we see in the summer because there is good bottom for them and very little current for them to fight.

I have a umbrella style drop net on the bottom and one minnow trap hanging off the dock and even without bait they are loaded every day. Net full of grass shrimp because I think the mesh just makes it easy for them to grip. The minnow trap loads up with three kinds of minnows. The regular killies, Sheephead and the stipped killiefish. Still getting the occasional small green crab in the pot also. 

The big cold snap next week will be a shock to them but I believe they just slide out into a little deeper water then move right back into the shallows when it rises again. Always amazed at how much life is around during the winter months but if you think about it, where would they go. Grass shrimp, minnows and critters like seahorses wouldn't get very far migrating. It would probably be an epic trip for them just to get to the inlet. 

Eric, I think in the feeding stickleback video, the stickleback is trying to eat a juvenile mantis shrimp.  hard to say for sure , neat stuff.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/16/2020 at 9:03 AM, BrianZ said:

Eric, I think in the feeding stickleback video, the stickleback is trying to eat a juvenile mantis shrimp.  hard to say for sure , neat stuff.

Skeleton shrimp! Just stumbled upon it while researching something else. I'm willing to bet that's what they were. 

Finally figured out how to get the stickleback to eat. They ate those skeleton shrimp but they wouldn't touch flakes, pellets, fine powder for used to feed fish fry, worm pieces that I got from clamming, frozen bloodworms from pet shop (not the kind we use for bait). Stubborn fish. They were starting to get skinny but I wasn't about to gather skeleton shrimp every week to feed them.

Brine shrimp were the ticket! They scarf them. I have to use a turkey baster to spot feed the shrimp to the stickleback. If I just dump them in the spearing are too quick and will eat every one first. 

Pulled the killie traps today and one had 20 stickleback and the other had 2 more. Crazy. I may have added a few more to the tank after this video was taken. 

Edited by Eric_S

I don't know if this is hiding, sulking, or sleeping, but I'm going with sleeping.

No, this Sea Bass isn't dead.  He just ate (well everyone just ate), and I guess it's nap time.

Bury yourself in the sand, flip sand on top of you, and lay there looking dead, ok, I guess.  Who'd a thunk?

20200220_211555.jpg.6100f291b7aa8aa17e997bdb40e33b4b.jpg

20200220_211603.jpg.bf7e59bbae8d32ae00c9839beb696e49.jpg

20200220_211620.jpg.0f205ae0021b2a2d93abc804b82119d4.jpg

Seen them and tog do this after eating. I believe it's just instinct so they don't use up energy fighting the currents. Dig a little indent then lay in it so the moving water passes right over you. Smart. 

Got three naked gobies in one of our killie traps yesterday. I’ve caught them over the years but always much smaller than these guys. I think they’re my favorite addition to the tank thus far. They’re total spazzes and fun to watch.