JoeyZac

Under The Lights..............

Rate this topic

365 posts in this topic

Really awesome thread you've got going here.  I heard you mention that you get the occasional lookdown, what month does that happen and how big are they? I have never heard of us getting them up this way.  I have caught them in Florida, but never even thought that they would make their way up towards us.  I'm guessing that they are on the smaller side, but still cool to hear!  Any other exotic or rare catches over the years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, earlier I said I was getting July-sized Peanuts, which made no sense to me, and now I know why.  They're not Peanuts.  Because they die out of the water so fast, I've been throwing them back so fast that I haven't been taking a good look at them.

 

Caught one a little while ago, and I did take a better look.   Baby Herring?  I don't know.

 

20190423_211743.jpg.06c084ad7c7beb4830b80b1e56af134b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Really awesome thread you've got going here.  I heard you mention that you get the occasional lookdown, what month does that happen and how big are they? I have never heard of us getting them up this way.  I have caught them in Florida, but never even thought that they would make their way up towards us.  I'm guessing that they are on the smaller side, but still cool to hear!  Any other exotic or rare catches over the years?

 

Happens in July/August, and it's gotta be baby fish that hatch in the Gulf Stream, get sucked up to NJ, head West thinking they're going to hit Florida, and they wind up in our backbay.  I can't come up with any other logical guess.

 

Off my dock in Mystic, I've caught Lookdowns and Jacks (AmberJacks, I think).  A friend of mine who lives in Barnegat Light has caught and donated a Gag Grouper, Mangrove Snapper and Butterfly Fish (I think).

 

These are pics from my tanks a couple summers ago.

 

2015-09-15_zpsqwul1nqy.jpg.4f2ef9dfa9fad1f8a23e36b6d77d8571.jpg

 

20131124_101530_zps5606ba5c.jpg.4b5e9cf77521972b849561d5159a3e21.jpg

 

20140806_192059.jpg.e9f34e58dfcb6c54a93aac2ca33a1b1f.jpg

 

20160601_212120.jpg.8796802b114cfce37189b6c179a215c8.jpg

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the Grouper grabbing a minnow.  The bang is him hitting the glass.

 

The Mangrove Snapper and Jacks are in this video too:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

OK, earlier I said I was getting July-sized Peanuts, which made no sense to me, and now I know why.  They're not Peanuts.  Because they die out of the water so fast, I've been throwing them back so fast that I haven't been taking a good look at them.

 

Caught one a little while ago, and I did take a better look.   Baby Herring?  I don't know.

 

20190423_211743.jpg.06c084ad7c7beb4830b80b1e56af134b.jpg

I think you nailed it with baby herring. No expert but based on a Google search I'd say that's what it is. 

23 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

Happens in July/August, and it's gotta be baby fish that hatch in the Gulf Stream, get sucked up to NJ, head West thinking they're going to hit Florida, and they wind up in our backbay.  I can't come up with any other logical guess.

 

Off my dock in Mystic, I've caught Lookdowns and Jacks (AmberJacks, I think).  A friend of mine who lives in Barnegat Light has caught and donated a Gag Grouper, Mangrove Snapper and Butterfly Fish (I think).

 

These are pics from my tanks a couple summers ago.

 

2015-09-15_zpsqwul1nqy.jpg.4f2ef9dfa9fad1f8a23e36b6d77d8571.jpg

 

20131124_101530_zps5606ba5c.jpg.4b5e9cf77521972b849561d5159a3e21.jpg

 

20140806_192059.jpg.e9f34e58dfcb6c54a93aac2ca33a1b1f.jpg

 

20160601_212120.jpg.8796802b114cfce37189b6c179a215c8.jpg

 

 

 

 

That is definitely a butterfly fish. I think it's a spotfin butterfly. 

 

I have come across tropical species in our waters a few times too. A while back, Sudsy told me they get caught in the Gulf Stream and follow the warm waters right on up. Seems like the most plausible scenario to me. I'd say most won't survive a winter here and almost definitely cannot make the journey back to their homes. Then again, I've seen fish frozen in suspended animation only to come back after a thaw. 

 

If you ever need a home for more delicate tropicals (like the butterfly), I'll be glad to help :wave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

OK, earlier I said I was getting July-sized Peanuts, which made no sense to me, and now I know why.  They're not Peanuts.  Because they die out of the water so fast, I've been throwing them back so fast that I haven't been taking a good look at them.

 

Caught one a little while ago, and I did take a better look.   Baby Herring?  I don't know.

 

20190423_211743.jpg.06c084ad7c7beb4830b80b1e56af134b.jpg

definitely YOY sea herring.  there was a spot i used to fish early/mid spring that would see millions of them for a few nights. bass would go bananas for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little more life out there almost every day now.

 

The baby Spearing are here.  Usually I start getting baby Flounders about the same time, so I'm going to have to start trying.

 

20190425_001401.jpg.87b57b279975e9de14ef629802875165.jpg

 

Also, there's some kind of ribbon worm (I made that up) hatch going on.  Long worms floating by that really do look like a long fluttering ribbon.  Snagged one with the treble on a rattle trap and it's a long, thin, flat worm that breaks in half really easy.  Reminds me of a Tapeworm.

 

Got one pic (where to me it looks like a ribbon), and one quick video where you see it flutter by for a second or two, release some kind of cloud, then sink out of site.

 

20190425_001432.jpg.3f4f68d8922e7320dc76cda428aa89f5.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 11:24 PM, JoeyZac said:

Got a full moon, a new toy, and a very high tide that just started going out about an hour ago.

 

Had Perching splashing all over the place last night, but couldn't get them to take a bait or a lure.

 

A little frustrated that I can get them to bite anything.  It would be a lot of fun to pick off the bigger ones one at a time on a light rod.

 

20190418_231838.jpg.dc15a72746235b2bb5fc6f9a63039815.jpg

 

20190418_231858.jpg.15ece86dff1be9b79d3e57ae70cc370d.jpg

check out the contents of their stomach to see what they're eatin cuz it seems it aint what you're throwin...I'm guessing shrimp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a huge volume of those worms last night (out back, OC).  Dozens of gulls working the water, lots of swirls and action with fish eating those worms.   I did get a few fish with worms while nothing on any type of plug, lure, or soft bait.  A few other guys were out there throwing for at least 30 minutes and saw no action.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

 

Once I saw the baby Spearing last night, I knew we were close.  In all honesty, this was a throw looking for eating-sized Perch, and I didn't really drag the net along the bottom the way I do when I'm plowing for Flatties, but this one evidently got spooked and swam up.

 

He's actually about twice the size of the baby ones I catch this early, but hey, I'll take it.  First of the year.

 

20190425_230123.jpg.446731630684bd3252d1133b2a6593a1.jpg

 

Take note of his color now, I'll post another pic later when he changes to match the bottom.  Both Fluke are in this pic.  The one from tonight, and the (now) big one from last Fall.

 

20190425_230243.jpg.f3880014696acbcf563572d8625a76eb.jpg

 

20190425_231234.jpg.7a11b735f5c5383251ea31800714b95d.jpg

Edited by JoeyZac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours later, he's just about there.  

 

On a side note, I had/have concerns that the bigger one would eat him, but they seem to be friends.  For now.

 

20190426_100033.jpg.0ae23061d379bed763513433f4926a93.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.