JoeyZac

Under The Lights..............

Rate this topic

365 posts in this topic

41 mins ago, Pma531 said:

This is awesome! I’m jealous. Never targeted perch or caught one. Heard they are similar to large tarpon 

:huh:

@JoeyZac any idea what the salinity is at your dock. I'm on the north branch of the Beaver Dam Creek and the salinity runs from 1/2 to 1/3 of seawater. I caught perch once before sandy but don't try very often I should put a light on and practice my cast net. I've got small fluke and croakers in my crab traps. I do get a big cinder worm hatch in the spring. Nice thread keep it up

1 min ago, Tomm24 said:

@JoeyZac any idea what the salinity is at your dock. I'm on the north branch of the Beaver Dam Creek and the salinity runs from 1/2 to 1/3 of seawater. I caught perch once before sandy but don't try very often I should put a light on and practice my cast net. I've got small fluke and croakers in my crab traps. I do get a big cinder worm hatch in the spring. Nice thread keep it up

I don't know the salinity, but if there is an easy way to determine it, I'm game to try.

We get all kinds of life where we are.  Herring, Perch, baby everything, and sometimes exotics like Lookdowns and Amberjacks. 

Here's a pics of  everyone from the "baby tank" from a few years back, during a cleaning.  Every single fish in this tank spent the whole winter and was released, except the Sea Robins.  For some reason, I couldn't seem to keep them going.

This pic has baby Summer Flounder, Winter Flounder, Sea Bass, Hog Chokers, Blowfish, Drum, Sand Perch, White Perch, Crackers, and Spot.

8_zps1cf589b4.jpg.3592e6783ae47ff67ddc001bca118d4f.jpg

Got a full moon, a new toy, and a very high tide that just started going out about an hour ago.

Had Perching splashing all over the place last night, but couldn't get them to take a bait or a lure.

Dropped a bomb on them (cast net) out of frustration, and pulled in 29 on one throw.  There were so many that the net was tangled so bad that it took me a couple minutes just to get them out of the net.  An easy 10 worth eating, but I wasn't in the mood to clean fish, so everyone went back.

I am in the mood to clean fish tonight though, so if they're around in another hour or so, we'll see.

A little frustrated that I can get them to bite anything.  It would be a lot of fun to pick off the bigger ones one at a time on a light rod.

20190418_231838.jpg.dc15a72746235b2bb5fc6f9a63039815.jpg

20190418_231858.jpg.15ece86dff1be9b79d3e57ae70cc370d.jpg

4 mins ago, brentwayne said:

Nice light. Is green better than white?

I don't know.  I've seen more people use green, and green is definitely cooler looking, so for now, I'm going green.

29 Perch in one throw though was pretty spectacular in my experience, so I'm liking green right now.

Well, coulda' shoulda' woulda' waited another hour or so to get further into the outgoing, but I'm tired, so.............. 2 throws............

First throw had 9 small Perch

Second had 4 small Perch, 1 tank sized striper, and baby crab.

Everyone went back home.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

20190419_004211.jpg.e535bafd9b6009eb60acc943e53a459e.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

SJ - I need a few more weeks for things to really get going.  Right now it's nothing but Perch and an occasional Striper or blue claw.  Few more weeks and all kinds of stuff should start showing up.

I'm starting to set the tanks back up too, but that will be another thread.

And I'm done with spot predictions.  Too many people know where I live.  They're going to come get me while I'm asleep if I jinx it again.  :)

Edited by JoeyZac

Couple interesting things tonight.  Reeeeeeeeeally high tide, still coming in, and I usually do better on the outgoing about 2 hours in, but it is what it is.

2 throws.  A few small Perch, a few small Peanuts, like August-sized Peanuts, which I can't explain, and a baby Perch about 4" big that found his way to the tank.

Not the best pic, but my current old cell phone is crap, so again, it is what it is.

20190420_000358.jpg.a4fa6c50ccfc98c606dcb622d2bece42.jpg