Under The Lights..............

Rate this topic

JoeyZac

Just now, Eric_S said:

What do you feed the stickleback? They are regular visitors to my killie trap.

He eats anything that slowly sinks down.......... Ice cube bloods, shrimp, plankton, and chunks of freezer burned fish that I dice up real small.

I don't recall seeing him go all the way to the bottom and taking stuff there, or floaters on the surface.  It's always the stuff that's slowly sinking.

Little bit of an update.....................

Things went south in one of the tanks.  2 of the baby Spot died, and the Sand Perch died, overnight.  The rest of the baby Spot, the baby Croaker, and the Rudderfish were all breathing REALLY heavy, which is a bad sign, so I let them all go while they were still alive.

The water is getting oxygenated, filtered, and even the salinity level is consistent with the other tanks, so I don't know what the issue was, but not taking chances.  Pretty much set the whole tank free, and am going to purge, clean, refill the entire tank today.

I hated letting the Rudder go, but I didn't want him to die.  He's too cool for that.

As for the the other tanks.............

I rarely see the Pipes eat, but I can hear an occasional loud "snap" at night, and there are shrimp bodies on the floor in the morning, so evidently the Pipes are doing their damage at night.

I also never see the Sea Horse do anything other than roll around like a drunk imbecile, and have been paranoid since day 1 that he's not going to eat and then die, but evidently he's having a blast with all the shrimp remains left by the Pipes.

20190618_084648.jpg.3ee0d33f061c8b4b00a64d8afc7d25a2.jpg

20190618_084658.jpg.e7f5e610be9cab1623b1f09487f3a9da.jpg

In the other tank, I had to let the baby Robins go.  Even though they were eating, they were starting to look ragged, and they usually don't do well in captivity for me, so back they went as well.  The Fluke, Flounder, Gobies and Sea Bass though are flourishing.  They eat all day every day, and haven't lost one yet.

One of my Fluke does have a worm though, so we'll see there this goes.....................

20190618_084718.jpg.6dbe38224a787116a7d121c982c73192.jpg

How many fish did you have in the tank that had loss and heavy breathing? How large was that tank. When you say they are getting oxygen, by what means? A bubbler provides far less oxygen than a powerhead or a filter that breaks surface tension. Not saying this was your issue but who knows? 

12 mins ago, ridenfish said:

Have you ever had a baby tog in a tank? It would be cool to have one big enough to chew tiny crabs

They are a real problem.  They dig at night to the point that they hurl so much debris up that they jam the filter, scar the impeller, and the filter works, but the scraping impeller is so loud that I have to replace it every few days.  At $7.95 a pop, that gets old fast.

The move all the structure around, dig under everything, and basically rearrange the whole tank, then give you a big fat **** you when you put everything back, and they just mess it all up again that night.  Always at night.  They hide all day, and wreck the place at night.

If I could get on the size of my thumb, I'd give it another shot, but once they get to be about 6", they are a nuisance, and have to go.

They are quite cool though.

2 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

They are a real problem.  They dig at night to the point that they hurl so much debris up that they jam the filter, scar the impeller, and the filter works, but the scraping impeller is so loud that I have to replace it every few days.  At $7.95 a pop, that gets old fast.

The move all the structure around, dig under everything, and basically rearrange the whole tank, then give you a big fat **** you when you put everything back, and they just mess it all up again that night.  Always at night.  They hide all day, and wreck the place at night.

If I could get on the size of my thumb, I'd give it another shot, but once they get to be about 6", they are a nuisance, and have to go.

They are quite cool though.

Crazy, I always thought they went to bed at night lol.  They are one of my favorite fish, I love watching underwater video of them on youtube.

4 mins ago, Scallywag said:

How many fish did you have in the tank that had loss and heavy breathing? How large was that tank. When you say they are getting oxygen, by what means? A bubbler provides far less oxygen than a powerhead or a filter that breaks surface tension. Not saying this was your issue but who knows? 

90 gallon tank.  It has 2 filters meant for a 60, a bubbler, and a powerhead.

Previously it had 4 9" inch Stripers, 1 6" Spot, 1 6" White Perch, baby Crackers, Gobies, and crabs in it, and everyone was fine.

I set free all the big stuff and moved some of the little stuff into that tank, and there's just something about that water they didn't like.  They were fine for a few days, but then overnight, something went way wrong.

Usually when something like this happens it's an oxygenation issue, but the Crackers, Gobies and crabs are all still fine, and breathing normal.

Cleaning everything, using new water, and starting over.  The 10 trips with 2 5 gallon buckets will suck a little, but oh well.  Biggest loss was having to ditch the Rudder.

You can see the filers, bubbler and powerhead in this pic.

20190618_102904.jpg.ac64ea09e2626c03e2bc5cb111cebcd4.jpg